Palm Trees In the Pacific NWst

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
Is it me, or are there more people growing palm trees in our area? vancouver is full of Palm trees, people in South portland are growing them, they grow in some places naturally in eastern washington (eastern washington looks like West Texas, and the mojave desert put together, and hot as hell in the summer) some people in seattle are growing them succesfully, there is a park that has been growing them for some time now (pt defiance park) and several private nurseries around the area are selling them for like 100 bucks a foot (and they have 20 foot trees:eek:) My friend has them growing in his front yard, and palm topiares are rather common and the ones ive seen throughout my years are pretty big (ill take some pics)

whats your take on this, phenomenom, fad, coincedence, or ??

like i said, ill supply some pics if neccesary... All of these are from my area.
palmice.jpg

In the last Pic... these were not on the persons propert, they were on the street. The one was at the capitol of washington, Olympia, and these were not on capital property, they were growing in the middle of a park. The park service cut em down.

Palm Trees in Seattle 47.6 N Latitude, 122.3 W Longitude Photo Gallery by Alain Lucier at pbase.com

Attachments

• palm-tree.jpg
    palm-tree.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 325
  • 25616705_DSC09524e.jpg
    25616705_DSC09524e.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 239
  • 7630756_U_W_Seattle072420002.jpg
    7630756_U_W_Seattle072420002.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 1436200_04152001GreenlakePalm32.jpg
    1436200_04152001GreenlakePalm32.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 240
Palms Trees

Very Cool, some of those are the Windmill palms, the hairy trunk looking ones. The other looks like a Washingtonia. They are very cold hardy. I have a few windmills, pindos,pygmy dates, sagos, and some sabal palm seedlings. They are really cool plant/trees.. But this year so many palm trees in the area have died because of the sub 20s cold hard freeze. I took all my palms indoors so they won't die. If you go on youtube people have made videos of their palms and how long they owned them. Also there is a guy on Sea Island the grows thousands of them at his home and sells the locally and worldwide.. I thought i had the bug but nothing compared to what i've seen online and in the neighborhoods. lol

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 228
Very Cool, some of those are the Windmill palms, the hairy trunk looking ones. The other looks like a Washingtonia. They are very cold hardy. I have a few windmills, pindos,pygmy dates, sagos, and some sabal palm seedlings. They are really cool plant/trees.. But this year so many palm trees in the area have died because of the sub 20s cold hard freeze. I took all my palms indoors so they won't die. If you go on youtube people have made videos of their palms and how long they owned them. Also there is a guy on Sea Island the grows thousands of them at his home and sells the locally and worldwide.. I thought i had the bug but nothing compared to what i've seen online and in the neighborhoods. lol

thats cool, where are you geographically? i dont see how palm trees could survive up here, but my friends trees are over 19 feet and have been there since before I was born. we get alot of rain here, and its overcast half of the year. in the mornings it will freeze over quite a bit in the teens or below. During the summer however, weve reached temps of 101 degrees before:eek: folks in oregon are growing them, and just every once in awhile up here youll notice them. I must not have been paying much attention to them

I swear were gonna look like santa monica one day...:rolleyes:

They are finally reaching you guys huh? Most of the palm trees you see lining the streets of So Cal aren't native to California. They were brought here from Florida in the the 1920s.

Palms

I am over on the east coast savannah ga. We do have alot of them here. Last year i went to orlando fl they are everywhere and you can buy them really cheap! They grow in the wild sabal palms drop thousands of seeds so you will see them along rivers,canals, waterways. My mom has two pindo palms in her yard so i dug up some of the seedlings and planted them in my back yard. The pindos are very cold hardy and have beautiful fronds.. The pindos were unaffected but the freezing weather we had here.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 197
I am over on the east coast savannah ga. We do have alot of them here. Last year i went to orlando fl they are everywhere and you can buy them really cheap! They grow in the wild sabal palms drop thousands of seeds so you will see them along rivers,canals, waterways. My mom has two pindo palms in her yard so i dug up some of the seedlings and planted them in my back yard. The pindos are very cold hardy and have beautiful fronds.. The pindos were unaffected but the freezing weather we had here.

you know what those would grow great here, we have just enought sunlight for them not to freeze, and the ground is pretty moist year round. i was thinking of growing a few palms myself if i could find a place to do it. The condos I live in have a desert-ish kinda appeal, like they were built in arizona or california and some palms would look nice on our property.

They are finally reaching you guys huh? Most of the palm trees you see lining the streets of So Cal aren't native to California. They were brought here from Florida in the the 1920s.

huh, didnt know that?

Bismarkia Palm

I bought this beauty a few months ago been wanting one for a few years and HD finally got a few in. I bought the last one :)

Bismarka Palm

Here is the new addition to my palm collection...

Attachments

• IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 115
Haha, this is a funny thread. I guess growing up in so cal and seeing those giant palm frawnds (?) falling onto parked cars from 60+ feet and dropping dates all over you kinda start to hate em.