painting my car on a budget, looking into omni paint.. what should i get

85begalttype

just a v6
hey guys, in the process of putting my car back together after a frame off. The shell was media blasted and then coated with epoxy primer. I have to do some body filler before base coat. This is a tight budget build for my daily driver 86 cutlass with a turbo buick motor, I want to use omni products since its easy to get locally where i live (canada)
Should the process be:

epoxy primer
filler
then coat over the filler with more epoxy?
then sealer? or not necessary since there is already epoxy
or should i use polyester primer because its easier to sand
then guide coat
then sealer before base coat?

and for base coat i wanted to use the omni paint - acrylic enamel white with the gloss enhancer

Epoxy primer is not for filling. After doing the bodywork, spray one coat of epoxy primer on any bare metal. After letting the epoxy flash (I would let it set for an hour or so, epoxy is slow), you will need to use a primer. You can use either urethane or polyester. Polyester fills better, and shrinks less, but might have some gloss holdout issues when compared to using a urethane primer, also, the polyester sands harder. I use polyester for the first prime, block it with 220, then 320, then apply 2 to 3 coats of urethane primer, block that with 320, then 500, then it is ready for wet on wet sealer and color.

Don't know what gloss enhanser for base is, the base doesn't shine, the clear does. I recommend using PPG DBC base rather than omni. The onmi will take more coats for coverage and since it is enamel, will pinch up and die back. Omni clear isn't too bad, it just doesn't have the uv protection good clears have. If the car sits outside alot, the uv's will attack the basecoat and the finish will delam (after 3 years or so).

If using single stage, I do not recommend omni especially white. Get a urethane single stage, and not Omni acrilyc urethane.

"If using single stage, I do not recommend omni especially white. Get a urethane single stage, and not Omni acrilyc urethane."

X2 on the OMNI..Last car we did that had that crap on it, had to be stripped...It smelled like house paint! [This was a "hi buck" resto, too]

It will take more material to cover it when using the Omni. Figure that into your budget.

thanks for the info guys. i was at the paint store getting prices for everything and most omni products they cant sell anymore because of VOCs. The ppg sealer is over $250 gallon plus the hardner and activator. Is sealer necessary? prevent the primer color from bleeding in or something?

Epoxy primer is not for filling. After doing the bodywork, spray one coat of epoxy primer on any bare metal. After letting the epoxy flash (I would let it set for an hour or so, epoxy is slow), you will need to use a primer. You can use either urethane or polyester. Polyester fills better, and shrinks less, but might have some gloss holdout issues when compared to using a urethane primer, also, the polyester sands harder. I use polyester for the first prime, block it with 220, then 320, then apply 2 to 3 coats of urethane primer, block that with 320, then 500, then it is ready for wet on wet sealer and color.

Don't know what gloss enhanser for base is, the base doesn't shine, the clear does. I recommend using PPG DBC base rather than omni. The onmi will take more coats for coverage and since it is enamel, will pinch up and die back. Omni clear isn't too bad, it just doesn't have the uv protection good clears have. If the car sits outside alot, the uv's will attack the basecoat and the finish will delam (after 3 years or so).

If using single stage, I do not recommend omni especially white. Get a urethane single stage, and not Omni acrilyc urethane.

Lisen to the man , He know what he talking about..:biggrin:

I used Nason's fulthane worked great for me fairly easy to work with as a rookie just follow the mixing instructions, cost effective........

I used Nason's fulthane worked great for me fairly easy to work with as a rookie just follow the mixing instructions, cost effective........

what store did you deal with? im gonna try hot rods n classics for some price quotes compared to what lordco quoted me for each product

what store did you deal with? im gonna try hot rods n classics for some price quotes compared to what lordco quoted me for each product

Videl Auto Body supply 3043 Barons Rd Nanaimo, BC V9T 3Y6
(250) 758-2416

Or
B & B Auto Supply
6777 Kirkpatrick Crescent
Saanichton, BC V8M 1Z8
Tel (250)652-5277

oh i thought u were in the langely area lol, i guess ill have to call around then to find a supplier. thanks!