Painting headers

TheDoughboy

Hello,

Has anyone here used either VHT Flameproof paint or POR-15's Hi Temp paint called POR-20 on turbo headers with any luck?

The VHT is listed at 1500 degrees and the POR-20 at 1400 degrees. I would be using the flat aluminum color and properly prepping them for the paint of course. I have used standard black POR 15 on other things and it's da bomb.

I would Jet Hot them but since I am spending most of my budget on my new motor that is out. I just want a decent finish that will last, within reason.

Thanks,

Ron

I never had much luck with silver of any kind, but I have used and do use black VHT and other brands of header paint in black. It does not peel and just stays on indefinitely. Nothing special to look at though, but just my experience.

I used some high temp rated 1500* paint in within the first day it was already flaking off. I would save your money and do it right the first time with professional coating rated at 1800* or higher. Mine were bead blasted and then I used a few cans of brake clean and the stuff still flaked off.

The cheap stuff from a can doesn't work on our headers period.

-GNX7

I agree, the VHT is some good paint. I always get my headers hot before painting them. If they're off the car I hang them with wire and take a propane torch to them then paint. I sometimes touch them up on the car just after getting the engine up to temperature.

I used the vht flat aluminum on mine and they turned out great. Make sure you blast the headers before you spray them.

Originally posted by Warp6
I agree, the VHT is some good paint. I always get my headers hot before painting them. If they're off the car I hang them with wire and take a propane torch to them then paint....................

That's the secret! Have done it that way for years with good results. When you blow a head gasket or have them oiled down for some other reason, use a parts cleaner and spray them again.
Still will look good.

Hot oil on a Jethot header, nothing can bring that back.

if you can not find VHT, the cheap ass BBQ paint they sell at wal-mart and the like works well. but as stated above they have to be clean and HOT. and a few coats will help :)

Yeah on VHT's website they recommend to cure them before use. They say to do it in a bbq, with full cool downs between the curing cycles like at 250 then 400 then 600 degrees.

So I should heat them before shooting the paint? Sounds good, I will post the results and pics when I do them in a week or two.

Thanks for all the replys:)

Ron

I used POR-20 on my headers last year. They were rust-free but I sand blasted them to clean off the old paint. I then used POR's marine clean and metal-ready to prep them. I painted them with two coats of POR-20 and they still look great after 6,000 miles. No flaking at all. I did the crossover also. POR-20 will not dry hard without heat. It will be soft enough to rub off on your hands unless you paint a hot surface. I painted mine then baked them in an oven so they were hard enough to handle and install. (baked first coat alone). I've had great success with POR products but learned that the prep work is important.
BTW, I did use the oven I cook my food in. A little of that wont kill me any quicker than anything else in this world.

Originally posted by TheDoughboy
Hello,

Has anyone here used either VHT Flameproof paint or POR-15's Hi Temp paint called POR-20 on turbo headers with any luck?

The VHT is listed at 1500 degrees and the POR-20 at 1400 degrees. I would be using the flat aluminum color and properly prepping them for the paint of course. I have used standard black POR 15 on other things and it's da bomb.

I would Jet Hot them but since I am spending most of my budget on my new motor that is out. I just want a decent finish that will last, within reason.

Thanks,

Ron

I just ordered a 4 oz can of TECHLINE coatings do it yourself true ceramic metallic coating for $19.95 from speedway motors in Nebraska. IT is good for 2000 degrees and cures by air dry.

I also got a can of BILL HIRSCH 1800 degree manifold paint , it is good for 1800 degrees, must cure with oven or exhaust heat a day later, GOOD STUFF for 15 bucks a 16oz spray can,PRotects great but no isulating benefit.

Regards

Order either one from the company;s web sites