Paint

I eat Z06

The GN is starting to show its age through its bodywork. Down low between the door and rear tire there is some paint bubbling, chiped paint all over, surface rust (from chipped paint) along rockers, some sap mad my trunk have pok-a-dots, dents here and there, and my rear spoiler & mirrors are fading. I also need a new rear bumper and filler panels (rear). I am not financially able to repair the entire car, so I was thinking fix the rear, sand down all the rusty spots, and paint the car. But... I dont have the cash for painting. I am considering painting the GN flat black. Then when more money comes along, repair the rest of the body, then re-paint it by a pro. It would proably be flat for 2 or so years. Do you think this is a better idea than letting the rust have its way with my car? I have untill next spring to make up my mind.

Nick

Are you talking about painting flat black with a rattle can or painting with a cheapo single stage paint? Sounds like your paint is similar to what a lot of us have had to deal with. Most likely you'll want to take the whole car down to bare metal before you dump money into it for a quality paint job. You can't just expect to fix the areas where there is a ding or bubbled paint. You'll certainly find more damage than you expected. Is this a daily driver? That might affect your decision.

I am planning on sanding down the entire car, and painting it with a gun. Down to bare metal where there is rust. A few of my buddies are in the bodyshop bussiness, and said they could help. One of them painted his Dakota flat black and it only ran him $50.

Nick

Plus the car has the Hotchkis suspension and torque thrus II's with Baer's behind them. So I am thinking with the low, alluminum wheels, and cross drilled/slotted brakes would add to the meaness, not just faded paint on an old Monte Carlo SS.;)

Nick

Whatever you decide to do you will need to put either a self-etching primer or por-15 down on the bare metal first to neutralize or at least slow down whatver rust is underneath. You will at least buy yourself some time that way but I have to agree with Lhorn: Sanding down an older car is like a birthday present from your mother in law: You don;t know what to expect, but it probably won't be good.

Just my 2 cents here.
Primer dose not have any UV protection in it at all. So it will last 2 years max and thats only if you use a good quailty primer like PPG's DP line of primer.
Someone sugjested to use POR-15. It is a good product. But is the most widely miss used paint product on the market today. Only use it on heavy rusty areas. If your car dose not have a rust problem then after you strip the paint use a good metal prep and then prime with a good quialty primer. If use choose to use POR-15 make shure you fallow the directions to the letter. Or you will have bigger problems.

There is just minor rust, and that is the most I want. Will be painting car but w/o clearcoat.

Nick