Paint Shops

GNBlack

Guys i am seriously thinking about painting my car.....sure needs it. Problem a lot of paint shops i have been to dont show examples of there work.....past cars painted in a book sure seems simple enough but i havnt seen it yet. All i want to know is where to go? what i should look for and what are warnings signs of a bad shop or possible bad one? As u all know painting your car is a big cost and i want no surprises.....what about if your not happy with the job you get? can you tell them to do it over? I have never done this before and need all the feedback i can get. Please help.
If there is anyone out there from Vancouver, Bc Canada as well please pass on what you know are good shops and not. Thanks!

I work at a body shop on weekends for extra cash and we actually gaurantee our work. If the shop of your choosing cannot say that and stand behind it then go elsewhere.
Basicly you get what you pay for when it comes to a good body shop.
Tom

Go to car shows, club gatherings, etc. in your area and ask the guys with nice paint to refer you. Looking at real cars beats photo albums any day.

Paint shops suk. You'd experience less pain crushing your own head in a bench vise than having your car painted. Let the next guy paint it...

:) well considering i plan on keep the car for good or thats how i feel now.....i think ill end up painting it.

Actually paint shops don't suck. people that are out to get your money for a half ass job suck. There are a lot of maintenance shops that are the same way. Just glad I don't have to worry about it.

Pay nothing up front. If you don't pay in the end, they will put a mechanic's lein on it so there's really no reason to leave a deposit. Plus, if they screw around and don't get it done timely, you can pick it up and leave. Once it starts taking up space inside, they'll get it done quickly; getting them started is the biggest trick.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Paint shops suk. You'd experience less pain crushing your own head in a bench vise than having your car painted. Let the next guy paint it...

Thanks strikeeagle:rolleyes: From the Owner of Car Craft Collision Repair Center.

I'm sure you paint great Keith. It's the 10,000,000 other shops that lie and overcharge and keep your car forever and break stuff and overspray and leave an inch of dust in your interior...

Sorry, no malice, but that's just my experience...

:rolleyes:

RESEARCH....ask around. This is the only way to know. Word of mouth is rarely wrong. Know what results you expect and TELL the shop. The higher quality you want, the more dollars it will cost.

Same car - same color, quality differences will vary the price greatly. A paint jobs final "look" is directly related to the amount of time spent on the car from start to finish. It really has little/nothing to do with the brand of paint used.

If you try to go cheap, you'll get what you pay for. Give the shop the money needed for the quality expected and you will be happier in the end.

Just painted mine and it is NOT a fun job.

thanks for the feedback guys, found a shop where i may be doing my car at a half decent price and with a good reputation.:D

Ask for a tour of the shop. See how clean they keep the place. One big thing I have seen between the shop I work at and other "budget" shops in the area is we keep our place spotless. We are constantly cleaning. Also an extrememly dusty shop sometimes hints that they use a lot more bondo. We hardly use any, therefore, there isn't that much bondo dust in the air.

Ask a ton of questions. What kind of paint system. What kind of paint will be used on your car (single stage or base/clear).

I can TOTALLY relate!! My WE-4 FINALLY got into a "GOOD SHOP"meaning.....I have seen these guys do a few GN's and they are SMOKING!!!!!!!

My problem was........waiting waiting waiting for my "TURN" to get my car in!!!

It's the same ole problem......collision is more PROFITABLE than repaints/restorations........and collision is typically quicker too.....thereby getting the shop their $$$ faster!

I did the research. I watched, talked and eventually became "tight" with the body and paint guys at this shop....so they might take a little special TLC with me....maybe. I stop by every so often.....UNANNOUNCED and check progress on my car!

I dropped it off two weeks ago, and yesterday it was STRAIGHT as an arrow.....primed......and jussssst about ready for some DEEP BLACK ! They are telling me another 10 days or so, and I'll be DRIVING my SWEETHEART!

Like the other posts said...and i agree...TAlK AND ASK questions from your friends/car show people/ other customers, etc!

Tom/NJ
87WE-4
"It goes!!!"

I agree, check around with people that have a paint job you'd be happy to pay for. Ask where they got it done, what kind of shape the car was in previously, how much they paid etc etc. The more questions you ask the fewer surprises their will be.
Has your car been painted (or crashed) previously? if so that could lead to more surprises and additional cost.
It sure doesn't hurt to talk to the guys in the shop while you're checking things out, the bodyman's attitude is as important if not more important than the cleanliness and quality of tools etc.
I've been restoring cars for a long time, and worked in a collision repair facility before that.
It seems that the customers who are armed with info and are willing to accept that crap happens with old cars are the ones that are the happiest when the job is done. I don't mean to imply that you should allow yourself to get screwed or get jacked around, just that the more pleasant you keep your attitude the better the finished product will be.
Spend a lot of time researching your shop and expect to spend a big chunk of change.

thxs for the feedback guys. Got a pretty good guy to do my car and i think ill be doing it with him. Im going to get the car up to snuff mechanically first and for me that means as close to perfect as i can possibly get it....then ill paint it. The tips and feedback have helped a lot. Thxs!

anyone in Vancouver BC Canada know where i can go to get my car painted?
Has to ICBC approved. I have a chit from ICBC to paint both doors
the hood, the roof and the front quarter panel. Id like to paint the whole car while im at it but i need some feedback. Thanks.

If I may add to this... I had my Cutlass painted for $2800, complete, jambs trunk all. Even two tone metallic silver and Sienna Pearl Metallic.
I had to have it repainted shortly after getting it back because the longer I had it and the more the paint "cured" the more flaws I could see that should not have been there. These flaws were things like paint was darker in some spots and lighter in others, basically it didn't get an even coating of paint or enough. Other flaws were scratches and filler showing up in flat areas which should have been flat. The owner of the shop completely sanded down and repainted the car for me at no charge, of course.

It turns out the painter was going through some personal stuff and moving at the time. I had seen previous work by him and the cars all looked great. Just keep in mind how long the painter doing your car has been at the shop he is at. It seems that painters especially seem to get tired of where they are. Not to offend any of you out there, these are just my and my Father's observations after what we have seen. My Dad used to work in body shops and Painters were always growing tired of where they were and wanting new challenges, etc. so off they would go to the next shop. They are after all very tallented and creative people. :)

All said and done I had a rough quote from another shop that said they wanted $4000 plus to do the same paint job. I had work done by them before and they are a very good quality shop. They were also the only one I ever went to that said the car would be ready by Fri and it was. No one else ever came close. Fri would turn into two more weeks etc. so keep it in mind as stated earlier that you may not have your baby back for awhile. And remember to keep up on them or the car will most likely sit until they get around to it. Overall, counting both times my car was gone almost 4 months total.

If I had to do it again I might... might have spent the extra $1200 for them to do it as I would have probably got it back sooner and the quality I am sure would have been better. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the way the car came out but sometimes there are little things that bug you and you just want them right.

Pretty much you get what you pay for, check out the shop, what compromises can you live with and don't be afraid to point out anything you don't like. It's your money and your property. Be very clear what your expectations are and get a written waranty. All shops should have one.

My girlfriend is getting her Camaro painted next month by a friend of her moms. He is charging $1800 for a complete job. Why so cheap? He does all the prep and body work at his house and the owner of the shop he works at only charges him a small amount to use the booth to paint them. He painted her moms car last year and it came out real nice and is holding up very well.
I will let you all know how it comes out.

Maybe becoming friends with a body/paint man is a good idea too.:D

Originally posted by olds443
Even two tone metallic silver and Sienna Pearl Metallic.

These flaws were things like paint was darker in some spots and lighter in others, basically it didn't get an even coating of paint or enough.

This is called modeling. It happens all the time in silvers. What happens is the metallics in the silver have time to flow throughout the area before the basecoat dries. The metallics are heavy, so sometimes gravity is to blame. Its fairly easy to get rid of. You can ethier use a faster drying reducer, or Before your first coat of clear, you need to lay a couple drop coats down. Turn the pressure down, open up your pattern, and hold the gun about a foot above your panel. Just a couple quick passes.

Just a little FYI I have learned by spraying... yes I modeled my first silver car before I learned this technique. :mad: :D

Thanks for the info!:)
The silver didn't seem to have any problems (except a spot where the guy only lightly sprayed and missed).
The burgundy was where all the flaws showed. I'm sure part of it had to do with it being a pearl and metallic color, complicating things a little more. They were painted on differnet days with the silver being first and the burgundy after he was trying to hurry and finish.
I love the clors though. I saw the burgundy 442 and loved the way the colors looked but didn't want the darker, browner color. I found what I was looking for in a Damlier Chrysler Sieanna Pearl. Looks almost black at night and can be a bright(?) dark red when the sun hits it directly. I still have to put my 442 stripes on, though.
Thanks again and I hope my post was of some value to someone.
Oh and yes, it does sort of feel like putting your head in vise as your patience and wallet are tested as well as wondering if it will be right when done, etc..