Paint Products

Rugby

I hope in the next month or two to start the tear down on my GN for Paint. If I sand down to bear metal and want to use a sealer primer on the first layer of each panel. Could I use an aresol can primer or should I go head and use a spray gun? This will be a long process for me. I am looking at a year +. Some one told me that as long as I scuff it before I spray the next layer it should be good.

What brand of products would give a nice finish and be easy for a new paint guy?

I would say get a good self etching primer and then seal that, all shot thru a spray gun. SEM has shop quality primer in a can (self etching and 2k). They run about $12 a can, but they are only made for small spot repairs, not whole panels. I love House of Kolor products and I think its there 3000 primer sprays pretty easy. Good luck

The best choice would be epoxy primer followed by a 2k primer. Epoxy is better than a one part aerosol can and probably cheaper than a ton of cans.

Could I epoxy prime the panels just to keep them from rusting them once I get all of the panels stripped and primed and re hung on the car spray the 2k primer and do the body work without any issuses?

My plan is to pull the body from the chassis and rebuild, clean and paint the frame and put some stiffeners in the frame. Go through the motor and tranny while there out. Then fix the rust in the body that I have.

This will be my first complete rebuild with body work and paint. Last year we did a 67 chevy truck in my garage but we did not paint it because we liked the faded paint.

Could I epoxy prime the panels just to keep them from rusting them once I get all of the panels stripped and primed and re hung on the car spray the 2k primer and do the body work without any issuses?

My plan is to pull the body from the chassis and rebuild, clean and paint the frame and put some stiffeners in the frame. Go through the motor and tranny while there out. Then fix the rust in the body that I have.

This will be my first complete rebuild with body work and paint. Last year we did a 67 chevy truck in my garage but we did not paint it because we liked the faded paint.
That would be the best choice. Spray the parts in epoxy primer. Then months later just clean, scuff pad them up some, wax and grease remover them and spray on your 2k primer. You can even apply body filler over the epoxy primer, some car manufactures require this.

I took my car down to bare metal just earlier this year!

Becareful doing it because you can warp the metal using a DA to remove the paint.

The best way i found to remove paint was to use a variable speed buffer with a hook and loop pad with 80 grit hook and loop sand paper. On very slow speed. But still need to be careful near edges.

I did a couple panels and then primed with eastwood epoxy.

Aersol cans are usually not compatible unless 2k. And can cause issues.

The spray can etch primers are a joke. Do not use them. Epoxy is ols technology. Paint companies do not recommend applying filler over epoxy anymore. I trust the paint manufacturer over a car manufacturer when it comes to paint products. Acid etch and urrthane primer works the best. Epoxy works fine if letting the panels sit for any length of time. It needs time to cure and watch the film build.

I believe the PPG line of epoxy primers require a topcoat of 2K primer within 72 hours or it has to be scuffed and reshot with more epoxy. Just going off of memory from the tech sheets.

Would it be wise to buy from a local supplier or sombody like Eastwood, Napa, or Oreilliy's?