package advice

mbartell

n/a 231
I decided to just yank the computer on my 82 regal and since it's not there it opens up the option of the edelbrock power package. Jegs has the manifold, cam, lifters, and carb all as one "kit" for around $500

Is this a good street set up? I really like to just sit back and cruise- although that may have had a lot to do with the fact that the car was pretty gutless- stock 2bbl 231 with 200,000 miles on it.
I've seen some posts a long time back that had some cam info, but I don't know how to read all the specs.

So if anyone can help, here's some info about the new engine, and the parts I have for it- stock pistons, bored .030, 8445 (dyslexia kicking in on number) heads, older vacuum advance distributor, accell hei coil. The rear end is a 2.41, I think, and the trans is a TH350.

How much is the package? Personally I prefer the ECM. I'd have gotten a 4.1 intake and 4 bbl carb for ~$50 at the junkyard. That and a gear change to a 3.08 may wake it more than the package.

kit

From jeg's it's $540.
I decided to remove the ECM because it has never run right.
I was really careful removing and labeling it, but then I snapped and just cut the wires that go thru the firewall on the passenger side.
Right now the harness in the dash is sitting across the front seats, and I'm going to disassemble it, trying to keep anything that may be useful.
I already removed the cruise control and found the right stalk to eliminate the wires and extra switches.
I'm planning on a custom dash insert, with new gauges.

What kinda gains could this package give? For that kinda money, I'd be looking at adding a turbo. Either a factory 79/80 carb/turbo set up or a custom blow-thru setup.

They might require more hunting for parts than simply ordering a package, but they can take you much further.

Ebay's a great place to watch for aftermarket 4bbl intakes <$100.

ebay

I do check ebay- I like the hunt. I'm just thinking about the state that ebay parts show up. I really wouldn't trust a cam from ebay.

It looks like our choices are getting limited now- this is an e-mail I just got from Kenne bell-

Hi and thanks for your interest. We are currently phasing out of the Buick parts we do have some parts still available -mailing you a catalog today please call,email,fax or write in to check availability.

The edelbrock package is the one that they say will bring it up to 220 HP. No egr, and I don't know what carb will be part of the kit.
I'm guesssing it's the one that the edelbrock website recommends.

As for finding a 4.1 manifold, jeeps are super-popular around here, and 3.8's and 4.1's are getting kind of scarce.
I do have a 4.1 manifold but it needs to be re-welded and surfaced before it's useable.

got parts!

Guess that one advantage to gas goin up is speed parts going down.

I finally found a Weiand manifold for the v6, and got some headers too.

What cam is good for this?
should I try and match up the power band?
I realy have no idea how to pick a cam.

Other mods

While you're at it, a good upgrade is change the tranny and gears. Get a 200-4R and dump to 3.73's. The gears are cheap enough just find an s10/s15 pickup or blazer, look on the option code sheet for GT4 this tells you it has 3.73 gears. Used gears around here average 50 bucks, and a good used 200-4R should'nt be anymore than a couple bills.

Yeah, I'm getting rid of the 2.41's for sure. I think I may be able to get a rear end out of a 78 turbo regal, depending what's in there. and if I have to buy the whole car, or can just get parts off of it.
I'll start looking for a 200 4r, not holding my breath tho!