P275/40R17 Fit? What backspacing?

SS/GNX

Formerly NothinYet
Okay. Dont want anything to rub.
Dont have a notch in the frame and dont plan on it.
Dont have fenders rolled and dont plan on that either.

Just want to know if P275/40R17 (26 X 11.50R17) will fit on a stock car with ALUMINUM Drums (gives 1/4in space, right?) and if so, what backspacing I will need on the rim?

Rim can be had in a 17x8 or a 17x9 ,but I need to know what backspacing.

And anybody got a picture of their car with 17s on it and NO DROP?

I wasnt planning on lowering my car, but if its going to make my car look stupid with 17s on it, I may just end up getting 16s.

Need some help, getting ready to order something REAL SOON.

Thanks in advance.

17x8 4" bs 225 fronts 245 rears. hotchkis all around and bmr tubular upper and lower a-arms. As you can see, the front is much lower than the back. I like my drop in the front. With my calibrated finger, in the front i have no finger gap. In the rear, i have about a 3 finger gap. I think the front is lower due to the a-arms.

1413023079_l.jpg

That SS looks GOOD! :cool: You may want to consider lowering yours like he did his because of the larger wheelwell openings. Keeping the right rake as he has on the one above will keep it from looking strange.

17x8 4" bs 225 fronts 245 rears. hotchkis all around and bmr tubular upper and lower a-arms. As you can see, the front is much lower than the back. I like my drop in the front. With my calibrated finger, in the front i have no finger gap. In the rear, i have about a 3 finger gap. I think the front is lower due to the a-arms.

1413023079_l.jpg

that car looks great Dude

Subscribe....I also have 17x8 w 4" BS, right now I have 255's in the rear,
and need to put some DR's on here, and, of course, the MT's ONLY come in the 275/40size....so...will they fit???

The car does look great. 3 fingers in the back meaning you have that much space between the tire and the frame or to the inside of the wheel well?

Right now my front end IS that low... but I more or less think its due to worn out suspension which I am replacing.

I was kinda hoping to find out if the 275s will fit in the back, and a picture of someone with 17s that doesnt have a drop at all so I can see how it looks.

I like those wheels, but I didnt want to spend the $$$$ to get them custom forged! Same wheels as Sick speed Monte... Nice.

Subscribe....I also have 17x8 w 4" BS, right now I have 255's in the rear,
and need to put some DR's on here, and, of course, the MT's ONLY come in the 275/40size....so...will they fit???

EXACTLY why I am asking. I am baseing my entire wheel size decision on the damn MT ET Radials! Bastards.

Unless anybody knows a stree slick that hooks just as well and comes in many sizes...

(dont say Nitto... because they dont hook)

EXACTLY why I am asking. I am baseing my entire wheel size decision on the damn MT ET Radials! Bastards.

Unless anybody knows a stree slick that hooks just as well and comes in many sizes...(dont say Nitto... because they dont hook)

Thats really funny, same here, I've HAD Nitto's in the Past, they SUCK period. And if you do a seach under me, I've asked this question SEVERAL times over the past 6 months or so, and Extensively searched the archive's and it seems
that I'll just have to Bite the bullet and spend the $400.00 and Find out!!

Its not just $400! I am baseing my wheel decision on this also... so if it doest fit, my wheels and my tire wont work! And im not a risk taker, so I am not doing that.

If I dont get an answer by mid Feb on this, I am buying 16s then I guess.
:(

I personally know of a car that had 315 Nitto DRs on 17x9.5 TTIIs with 4.75" BS and did not rub. The key is to have the BS exactly half the wheel width. You should be able to get 275s on there no problem with a 17x8 4" BS wheel. That what I'm going to do.

thanks for the compliments guys.

the wheel gap is between the fender and tire.

i am not sure if the 275dr will work, but if we had a race track on Oahu (hawaii), i would just buy the 275 and make it work. right now, the closest race track is in maui so i don't have a need to buy dr's yet. hopefully soon though.

I ran 275/40/17's all the way around on my 88 SS. They were mounted on 17x9 ZR1 wheels off a 98 Camaro SS. Since you specifically asked about the rear I won't confuse you with the front details (unless you want them).

Using a stock 8.5 rear (from a 442) with alum. drums, I used a 2.5inch spacer/adapter and Hotchkis springs with no rubbing issues. Unfortunatly I have forgotten what the stock backspace was on the ZR1 wheels. Since then I've swapped over to 17x8 TT2's with 245/45/17's but I'll try to post a pic of the old setup.

If you run 12" brakes in front I would get 4.5" BS for a 8" wheel (or even 5" and use a spacer to get them perfect).

It will allow larger tires than 225's without rubbing the fender lip.

Im not real concerned about the fronts, but thanks for the advice.

Ive got some mixed responses... Will they fit and not stick out or rub?

I run a 18x9.5" out back, no frame notches/rolled lips, etc. 5" BS with Alum Drums, 275 tire, no rubs, tight fit though. Jack the car up, support it by the rear axle, take your wheels off, put a straight edge across the drums where your wheel mounts, and measure in to the closest part of the frame to see what you can clear BS wise. EVERY car is different. HTH