Owners of Rice

BuickMike, Sounds to me like you had a lot more done than intake and exhaust. How much do those cars weigh? 1900 lbs? My car weighs about 2600. I want to get it weighed, I don't know where I could get it weighed at, maybe at Infineon raceway. Also, how did you adjust your fuel mixture manually? I don't know that it would do much good to my car, but it's worth finding out about I have thought about doing a TB coolant block, but I heard somewhere that it doesn't really do any thing for Integras. I advanced my timing to 18 degrees btdc. That is as far as Honda recommends for my motor.

Other than the flywheel, everything else was just cheap / free mods. The intake was stock, but I removed the air box, got a 90 degree 3" PVC pipe bend from Home Depot, and slap on a K&N. The exhaust was stock, except for the cat hacksawed out and a different muffler welded on. The rest was the stock pipe.

On my throttle body I had the idle speed screw as well as a spring and vacuum operated plunger which was basically an Idle Air Control valve. Screwing it out would make the mixture leaner, and richer the other way. Adjusting it changed my O2 #'s at full throttle. It also helps to take it apart and clean it once in awhile. I'm guessing your car's mixture is strictly electronically controlled. Mine was 80's technology. My little 12 valve motor was only 8.7:1 compression and had more stroke than the later motors. I believe it also made a little more low end torque. It would have made a great turbo motor in my mind. Funny thing is, the DX model of the CRX had a carbed 12 valve motor with 9.2:1 compression, but only 75 hp. The HF model had a carbed 16 valve 1.5 motor with 10:1 compression that made 60hp. There were a few people taking the DX model, running nothing more than dual webbers and an exhaust and running low 15's. I personally got spanked by one of those.

hey dave, nothing wrong with hondas!

i have a HUGE apreciation for honda these days. there are so many guys i know that have hatch backs and integras with swaped motors and hybrid combos runing pretty quick times and keepin it sticker free.
i also learned how V-tec worked the other day in auto class. pretty damn cool.

you say your teg is an LS? im not sure on this, but i think that the LS motor has more displacement than a GSR motor. alot of guys make their LS's into LS-Vtec, which is swaping the Vtec head on the LS motor, which gives it slightly higher compression and alot more power.

another one is the B20 Vtec, which is the minivan 2.5 ltr i think, with a GSR head. that motor in a light little hatch back can run mid 13's to low 13 w/ good driver. few of my buddys have em. the low end torque from the displacement and the high end power of Vtec.

if you can get a GSR head at a junkyard, that would be pretty fun :D

back to the subject, i drive a plymouth laser N/A to school daily as you know.
only one performance mod, i put it in today. i got about 5 HP from an oil change LOL

PS: mikes 87 is for sale? you consider that?

MMB, I was not saying that any Japanese car with an aftermarket exhaust is rice (I have an aftermarket exhaust, not fart can but SS mandrel bent w/high flow muffler on my talon)

My point was the opposite, rice is adding parts for looks only and body kits without painting them etc. I hate pro street cars too.

Some import cars are done really well and are very fast. I don't care where it was made as long as it is fast first and looks good second.

Back in the day, guys with their camaro's jacked way up with "cherry bomb" mufflers, giant cowl induction hoods and all that crap were just as bad as ricers today. Tasteless modifications have always looked bad.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

fitz3820, it's funny you mentioned the tasteless American Iron that used to roll around out there. My theory is that the parents of kids with rice were into air shocks, glass packs, huge cowl hoods, bird catchers, Kelly Supercharger tires, and of course, stickers. :D

MMB, yup got an LS also. Totally stock though I've been real good about not modding and breaking my daily driver this time, but this turbo kit idea is really getting to me. I did gut the interior and dynamat EVERYTHING before putting a stereo in but thats it. Its funny I had the same idea about adapting the GN turbo to it as well, the more I thought about it though I don't see how a 4cyl with less than half the displacement would ever be able to spool it. Although I've got a friend who's got a totally built GSR, with a pretty good sized turbo on it who expects to be making over 400hp and claims it spools quickly. I've yet to go for a ride in it though.

KillrV6, I think the only diff between the LS and GSR is higher compression and the vtec head, same displacement though. GSR trannys were shorter above 3rd as well. I've seen people are boring the B18's out to 2.0L now though.

I haven't heard much good about the LS-Vtec swap though. Most seem to have alot of problems with it.

Now a turbo B20 is starting to sound like alot of fun :)

Hey Guys, I just looked up the displacement on the Integras. The LS motor is 1834 cc's, the Gsr and type R are both 1797 cc's. Not to much of a difference. I have heard way too many bad things about doing the LS Vtec swap. I would rather just put in a whole Vtec motor out of a type r, or put on a turbo since my motor only has 9.2:1 compression ratio. GSR c/r is 10:1, Type R is 10.6:1.

KillrV6, I found out how VTEC works not to long ago. I found it on another forum I post on called TeamIntegra.net. My user name is Gecko over there. Also if anyone wants to find out how VTEC works, go here -->http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=45

I like Infiniti

I'd love a M45 or G35 sedan. The new G35s will be available with an optional AWD system (5-speed auto only). Check the Infiniti web site. Now all that 3.5L V6 needs is that greddy turbo kit that I've been hearing about.

I would also love an Infiniti. The G35 coupes look very :cool: I know they are supposed to be a lot like the Nissan 350Z, but in my opinion the G35 looks much better. It doesn't have those hiddeous door handles. Those things ruin that car. Also I like the curves of the G35 a lot better.