overheating problems

Burner

I have been reading about blown head gaskets the last few hours here and hope to get some feedback.Went to my brothers house 12 miles away in my 87 TR when I pulled up the water pump was leaking and making noises.Let it cool down started and the pump was noisy.Changed with AC DELCO unit,stat,belt,and radiator hoses.Started the car the next day to check for leaks none so refilled with coolant wich was very little.Drove around the block to warm it up when I shut the car off the fan was on???Drove 5-6 miles down the road the idiot light came on!!!Shut the car off and looked under the hood seemed like there was alot of pressure built up.No milkshake on the dipstick or steam from tail pipes??Was told to put a pressure gauge on the radiator instead of compression check?

Or is the 'stat in backwards? If I remember correctly the idiot light dosen't come on until 240 or so. Some one will chime on that Im sure. Jon

overheating problem

Thanks for the feedback gonna pull the upper radiator hose and check the stat position.Change it out with a 160 degree instead of the 180 replaced with water pump.Hope but doubt it's in backwards.Again thank you for the information!!! I will post back with what happens.

overheating problem

Once again the turbo gods have answered !! The stat works "put it in hot water to see if it opens" All good and not backwards.started the car with the cap off this time and added a couple of times after the stat opened. the block must have been low because the fan doesn"t come on any more!! Let the car idle in the driveway for awhile and just took it for a short ri de and everything seems "cool"Gonna but sort of scared to take it for a longer ride.Think I should change the stock radiator cap?? How would I check it to see if it is working? Thanks again for the help on this great site!!

just because you don't have milkshake and steam coming out of the tailpipe doesn't mean you don't have a blown headgasket. They sell a tester to test for gases in the water system.One more thing to try out.