Overdrive Question

Jürgen2

Oversea Member
Hey all,
here in Germany I often hear that the OD should just be used during highway drives, and not while cruising through the town.
They say the OD will not last very long. Is there anything true?
Do you use your OD in town?

And if this is true, is it a clutch, a heat or a gear problem?

Thanks Juergen S

High speed

Hey Jürgen,

I've had several trannie guys say basically the same thing here in the US. Do not really know how true it is but my view is that everything has X number of cycles before it fails so I only use my OD when I'll be running above 50 mph and know it will be engaged for awhile. Make it fast but make it last!

Thanks for your answer.
I am just wondering, because some guys here are using a 2004r on the strip and it seems to last. My thoughts were using a shorter rear axle ratio and using a 2004r to get the rpms down again. But if I can´t use the OD in town, it was a very bad desicion. Gas is about $4.80/gal here. :(

I will rebuild and strengthen my trans with pts parts. And I wonder what kills the OD. Will the clutches wear very fast or will it overheat?

I have a 3.73 rear ratio now so I would really need the OD in town.

Does anyone know what happens with the trans, if I use the OD in town?

Juergen S

if the vehicle shifts into overdrive too soon the car may feel sluggish,but the overdrive clutches were never a matter of concern in the 2004r in the durability department .technically in overdrive output speed is faster than input speed and this does generate extra heat because of the speed reached in the overdrive planetary and the energy ehausted overdriving the other 2 planetary sets thru the front carrier.if the proper kilometers are reached for the valve body to request overdrive than there is no ill side effects .reduced fuel consumption,reduced engine noise ,and engine wear are the benefits.

This means the only thing I have to think is the heat of the oil?
If I install an extra oil cooler, I won´t have problems with using the OD in town, will I?

thanks for your anwer.

Juergen S

FYI, I use 4th just putt puttin around ALL the time with no ill affects. I have run 200's now for about 4 years in my car. :D

So, DITTO Chris, I have never worried about it.