Out-Sourcing Customer Service Vent

Pressure-Less

I recently set up a wireless network in my home. The kind of network adapter required me to call their customer service to set up completely and then secure the my network by encryption. Well, lucky me I got to talk to an Eastern Indian with a heavy accent, who I had to keep asking to repeat what he just said. Who makes the decision to hire these people just because they can speak English. There is a little thing that makes a difference called an accent or dialect. :rolleyes: I was so frustrated after 30 minutes on the phone:mad: that I was happy to get off of the phone with him. Well, Murphy's law hit and I had to call back within 20 minutes because something else was not working:( and I got a different guy with the same accent but more attitude:mad: Well 15 minutes later I got that problem fixed. Well, I am a glutton for punishment when I added another computer to my network, guess what, another call to customer service:( This time I got a female no luck, same accent, I am fairly knowledgeable with computers but she would rush me like I had a computer sitting over a T3 trunk. The annoying thing is that she was asking questions that had really nothing to do with my problem. So, after another 15 minutes wasted :mad: I hung up on her and fixed the darn problem myself after an hour of tinkering with it.:D Anyone else here have similar problems with foreigners working for customer service that speak English, but the accent made them sound like they were speaking another language?

The IBM business support for my area is out of Atlanta. Yes, they still hire people who don't know what they are doing. If I explain to the American techs what is wrong with my blade servers and what I have done as far as testing goes, they ask me what I think the problem is and send me the parts I need to fix the problem. They usually comment on how I go far beyond what their troubleshooting guides have for certain problems. Then....I get the *other* group of tech support, they want me to reinstall my OS because the server won't boot. I tell them it won't even load th bios so how in the world can I install the OS on it. It can be a real fight to get help from people who have ZERO common sense. This applies to all parts of the IT industry. You may have better luck by searching the internet for forum posts from people with the same problem.

I work for a large consulting firm who uses India as it's first tier or support and I don't understand how business can keep on being done that way. By the time I get a customer they are usually pissed off and fed up and it's up to me to calm them and make things right. When I complain to my boss about our customers having to deal with terrible language and technical skills I got this..."our customers just have to understand that it's a global economy and that's the way business is done now." I couldn't believe what I was hearing and I hope everyone who has problems like yours makes a stink about it and demands better support.

yes it drives me insane. I want to strangle the people on the other end. The worst was calling Orbitz trying to get an airline ticket changed. It was like 2 hours on hold and then the worst, least helpful conversation of my life.

I think the absolute worst is when I called a help desk and I got someone who had a super thick accent and was not very helpful. I called again and I got the same thing. I finally got pissed and asked if I could speak to someone in AMERICA and they said "siiiir ve are locaded in maryjland". I couldn't believe it, so I asked her some questions about maryland and she knew them. Apparently they trucked in some Guatemalans to do their customer service. :mad:

whenever I call a customer service line & I get someone that speaks broken english I demand to to speak to someone that speaks english!!! I tell them I am in the USA & my language is english I expect the courtesy to speak to someone that speaks english.

When I complain to my boss about our customers having to deal with terrible language and technical skills I got this..."our customers just have to understand that it's a global economy and that's the way business is done now."

The management are the idiot morons that made the decision to outsource based solely on $$ not realizing the amount of customers to be lost, or the fact it takes those folks 5X the amount of time and effort to do something that a qualified person in the USA could do even at 3X the cost per hour but still save the company money and customers....
The big thing now is outsourcing support to Mexico...at least now you'll be able to say their names :D

But...I usually figure out the problem on my own while either waiting or trying to understand WTF they are saying...cause usually their first response is "ded yu turn it of and bick on to see if dat worked??? "