Ouch! Beaten by my buddy’s ’68 Camaro on spray!

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
About 2 years ago, a good friend of mine got bit by the musclecar bug hard, and bought a nice black ’68 Camaro. I still remember the day we drove to Portland, Maine to pick it up. He was stoked, and so was I. Finally, a friend with a nice GM product to race! For 2 years we raced quite a bit, from the point where his car was just as the way he bought it, up to now. He could never beat me, except for once when my car was fully loaded up (full tank of gas, spare tire/jack and an extra passenger in the car) and sportin’ the Radial T/A’s which offered no traction whatsoever (he was on Hoosier Quick Times). But other than that one time, he could never get past my rear bumper. The engine is nothing fancy, just a solid old-school 2-bolt, cast crank 350 with an LT1-spec cam, older cast iron 2.02 heads, Victor Jr, Holley 3310, and 1 5/8” headers. He bought it as a 350/4speed car, but the trans went and now it’s got a JW TH400 with a 3000 stall converter, backed by a Moser 12 bolt with 3.42’s. It’s a beautiful car, he’s redone the entire suspension and interior, using nothing top-notch parts for a hard core street car….including an NOS Super Powershot system set at 100HP. :eek: I’ll list the parts if anyone’s interested….some pics here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/38339638DLqDzW

Well, my winning streak came to an abrupt end on Sunday.

I honestly didn’t think he could beat me, I thought we would be about equal now, since the car seemed to slow down a little bit with the addition of the TH400, but with the spray I figured we’d be a good race. Which it was.

I just finished washing the GN when he stopped by, I was gonna head over to his place afterwards and shoot the breeze or go for a cruise. We got in our cars to head over there, and I yelled out the window and said “Let’s take Blue Hills Ave” (long straight industrial park road with few occupants on the weekends). He agreed, said his car was running good. I’d never raced him when he had the bottle before, so this would reveal the truth.

We got out onto the road, and we couldn’t see any cars for miles….perfect conditions, weather was cool, not humid, and there was no one around. My Hoosiers are a little worn out, but so are his. We stop in the road and I give the countdown. On 3 we both hit it. I immediately jump out to a nice carlength lead (gotta love TORQUE!) even with some hard tirespin, and it stays that way up until he hits the button in 3rd gear. Holy crap. The Camaro makes a sound like he fired up a 2nd engine at 6000RPM and walks by me at a steady rate. By the end of the 1/4 mile, I was at HIS rear bumper. We let off and I get up next to him and nod my head “yes”. Shoulda seen the grin on his face. The GN had finally gone down. He had always been so tired of losing to my car. Well, he finally made his mark. So now he’s the hunted one. :D It was cool though, because I had always told him “Someday I’ll be looking at your taillights. Be patient it’ll happen.”. Well it happened. Time to go buy those Quick Time Pros I’ve been thinking about, and make a call to Mr. Cotton….:D

I can’t say I’m depressed or humiliated, since it’s a GM car, and it’s really nice (I love Camaro’s). He’s put a lot of money, hard work and time into it, so kudos to him. Plus, we’ve been friends for over 20 years, and I’m sure the day will come soon when he’s looking at the GN badge on the trunk of my car again. :D

Steve

Steve, thats a good friend to have! Me and itsav6 are just the same way. I bought my 68 400 firebird years ago and it never beat his t-type lol but if it had he would have been just as proud to see it as me. He knows how much work I have put into it and he was just as happy as I was the first time it ran 8.60 at the track. Its just a old stock bottom end 400 with a little cam , headers and such but it has been a lot of fun over the years. Now I am spoiled with my 86 t-type but the 68 is still a lot of fun to play with. Daniel

Oops....meant to say nothing BUT top-notch parts. :eek:

Yeah Daniel, its kinda cool to have some friendly competition. He's been talking about a 427SBC or a 540 BBC for the car, but it's probably gonna be a while until he does that, unless I show up with a new turbo and FMIC. :D

Too bad it's supposed to rain again today, I really want to get some vids of us smoking the tires. These Hoosiers on the GN are pretty much shot, time to put them out of their misery. :D Maybe next weekend.

Steve

a buddy of mine has got a 69 nova with a mild sbc and he was pissed when i walked him hes been talking crap since high school , just cant wait till he wants to try again , keeps thing interesting.

85 TR,
Yeah things definitely do stay interesting, but its cool since it's just friendly competition. Its a lot more fun this way, since neither one of us runs their mouth about who's car is better/faster, no excuses or any BS that sometimes comes forth from a lost race. Gonna be an interesting summer though....just remedied my traction problem today with a new set of QTP's. :)

Sounds like it's time for a call to Razor. It's time for your ride to become a full blown alchoholic. :eek: :D

I have the SMC single nozzle kit on the car, just thinking about adding the progressive controller.

Eh, no worries mate, spray is gay.

Tell him you'll run best out of 10 up to 120mph. He'll win the first few UNTIL his cheat bottle runs out then it's back to the same old car he used to lose with.

In the long run, nothing's changed.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the day to come when he's ahead of me and then all I see is black smoke from the instant where it went pig rich from running out of N20. :)