OTHRWMNS SMC Install

Twins

Wanna Trade Eyeglasses ?

Attachments

• othrwmns smc1.jpg
    othrwmns smc1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 479

I can't wait for mine still waiting on a sol. for this damn hot-air.

Another reason why my plate is "CNSPRCY" ;)

Attachments

• othrwmn's smc 4.jpg
    othrwmn's smc 4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 376
How was the wiring run? My boost line seems to come up short. I think i'll just buy more and I believe it'll make it.

What kind of lights did you use?

My boost line was t'd at the boost gauge line in the passenger compartment. All of the other wiring was long enough. As for the bulbs I just bought the ones that fit the best. RadioShack has a huge selection.

Thanks for posting the pics Chris!!

Did you have the sockets for the bulbs already in there? So are your lights secured in the holes in any way? How do you get the gauge cluster off? I'm guessing disconnect the connections in the back of it and pull after you have the 4 bolts out. I'll have to look at it tomorrow though.

thanks for the info

Matt
Loosen the bolts holding the steering column to the dash so it drops down an inch or two. The inst cover pops off and has about 6 clips around it. Pry it off carefully then loook for clips that came off HA HA
The inst cluster itself has several small hex head screws (use little nut driver) and you can get it out

Originally posted by tlturbo
Matt
Loosen the bolts holding the steering column to the dash so it drops down an inch or two. The inst cover pops off and has about 6 clips around it. Pry it off carefully then loook for clips that came off HA HA
The inst cluster itself has several small hex head screws (use little nut driver) and you can get it out

Thanks. I'll have to give that a look when I get home.

Matt,
I got to thinking about it- but it's been a good while since I was in there, BUT I think the part of the cluster that has the little lights in it might be separate from the main cluster and easier to get out. You'll see what I mean after you gently pry the blackl face plate off. Start at the bottom edge and pull out gently.

Terry

Ok it's all good now. I dropped the middle lower dash and dropped the steering column down about an inch and after I pryed my speedo cable that was wedged between the body and chassis I could pull enough cable up to where the cluster would come out enough to where I am now able to get to the lights.

I just got some instrument panel sockets from Advance Auto and the lights too. I'll be able to hold them in place just like the rest are. Now I just need to make a few connections and get something to flush mount the control box in the ash tray and put everything back together.

thanks for the help

Matt it sounds like you have everything under control. Sorry I did'nt respond sooner I've been sick for the last two days.

Originally posted by OTHRWMN
Matt it sounds like you have everything under control. Sorry I did'nt respond sooner I've been sick for the last two days.

Hey no problem there. I'm just eager to get it installed like this, but I don't want to cut any corners on something simple like this. I only had a little time to mess with it last night, but will have as long as I need tonight. I should have everything back together and working. Thanks for the idea and info!

Did you have to open the SMC control box to get the power wires for the "power injection" dash light?
Lane Gordon
Fast Lane
'85 GN ('87 motor, te-44, 42lb, 210-205, thdp, etc.)
SMC coming soon
'89 S10 cameo w/ n/a buick 3.8
http://hometown.aol.com/lanegn

from the pics, it looks like the test button and switch are hard to get to. Looks like a tight fit in the ash tray. Were you able to access the test button and arm switch?

I have a extra center console so on the passenger side of the spare console I drilled a hole big enough for my index finger to hit the test button.The passenger seat covers it up. As far as the control box fitting in the ash tray it is a very tight fit and some triming was required. Nothing that anyone but the installer would notice. I can't wait for track to open!!!!!