Orbiter crank?

Tim Barnum

I have a new Orbiter crank (not sure of spelling). It's still in the box. It's a 3.06 stroke crank going into a 4.1 off center stage 2 block with the center 2 caps being 4 bolt. I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me what power levels this crank and block could take? If I could just find some rods I might be able to put it to the test. It's going to have a 3 bolt PT-70 for now. Thanks Tim

BIG CUBIC INCHES

I thought you would want more stroke .Are you sure its a 3.060 crank ? Most of the dudes on this site go for 272-274 cubic inches for a 3600 lb car. Just my two cents worth.....Indyrich....:eek:

Yeah it's a 3.06 stroke crank, but thats all i have to work with and it's new. It will still make 231 cubes with a 4" bore. I know it should rev pretty high besides theres alot of people that have made big power with a short stroker crank. It might even make it stronger than a 3.625 stroke in terms of flexing. I'll be the guinne pig to see how it works on the street:D. If anyone has ever tryed this just let me know how it turned out. Thanks Tim

John Gallina's record setting ss/dx car runs small cubic inches, about 210, with a short stroke crank. Do some searches for his name for more info.

Originally posted by ijames
John Gallina's record setting ss/dx car runs small cubic inches, about 210, with a short stroke crank. Do some searches for his name for more info.

Yeah check out his website:
http://www.fastbuicks.com

He is actually under 210ci (his motor is a Duttweiler built 207ci twin turbo Stage II On-Center Buick V6 motor that makes 1280hp) and he has run 7.93 @178.63mph and as Carl mentioned he is the current SS/DX record holder.... Keep in mind this motor is spun all the way up to about 9K or maybe even 10K rpm from what I've been told so if you want to make a lot of power with less cubic inches get ready to rev your motor:eek: ;) :D

Is that crank fully finished[counter weights,etc.]?
It seems [correct me if I'm wrong here],they used 3.070" stroke cranks with 3.800" bores on the Indy T/Charged Buick engines[USAC].
Should make for a real interesting engine.:)

GO WITH IT

WOW!! After looking at that fastbuicks site, I'LL keep my mouth shut abought BIG INCH motors. :eek:

The crank seems to be all finished. The little oil screws are not installed but, they just screw in i hope:D. I'll probably go twin turbo with stage 2 heads and keep it under 800 hp. So the block will hold up. Thanks Tim

Tim if the block you have is a true Stage 2 don't worry about going over 800HP.A good Stage 2 block will support 1300 hp.I seen have a few that Ken Duttweiler built that put out 1400 hp. As for the crank your using I think the Radius Kid is right it was used at INDY.I have seen those cranks for sale at the Bid Racer site on the net http://www.bidracer.com./ I have also seen the Rods that you are looking for up there also they sell alot of INDY PARTS. Hope this helps.

REG

crank,

tim, the last indy motor that i bought, it was assembled but never run, it had a 2.90 stroke 3.900 bore, it is off center, deck hight is 9,530inches, 6 1/2 carrelo rods, it was a odd fire motor, big end of rods measure with bearing 2.100 same as small block chevrolet, i still have the crank, rods and pistons for sale. cheap, :cool:

I can't do odd fire:D. Mines an evenfire crank with wide journals but not too wide. I'm going to use a stock modified computer. I still need some rods so I'll check bidracer.com Thanks For the info. Tim