Optimas suck

Best bet for the the dead battery syndrome in cars that don't get used regularly...

...is a battery switch. It's a good theft deterrent too. Parasitic loss from keep-alive memory, radio memory, clocks, and any other type drains will drain a battery over time. :cool:

Re: Best bet for the the dead battery syndrome in cars that don't get used regularly...

Originally posted by Rickracer
...is a battery switch. It's a good theft deterrent too. Parasitic loss from keep-alive memory, radio memory, clocks, and any other type drains will drain a battery over time. :cool:

Anyone know if they make a battery switch that just screws into the battery post and then the cable screws into the switch that way there is no hacking on the cable itself?

a quick note to all of you with 'gel' (yellow and red tops) batteries, make sure you use the correct type of charger to charge them or they run the (slight) risk of exploding, i've seen two of these explode.

If you have a fully charged gel battery and just use the alternator to keep it topped up, its generally fine but will affect the overall life of the battery, if you have a flat battery use a charger suited to 'gel' battery's with a 'conditioning circuit' built in or you'll just have trouble.

i've written a whole heap on batteries and charging over time and a big chunk of it is here in the tech section on my own forum:

http://celtic-cruise.co.uk/unityforum/index.php?showforum=19

unfortunately we're having forum updates at the moment so it might not be available right away, but hopefully back soon.

AC DELCO EVERY ONE I have ever bought has lasted at least 5 years. $69.00 :)

I buy Autozone or Advance gold. Almost no battery lasts more than 4 years in the FL heat - daily driver. With these "gold" batteries, you get a 7 year warranty and I believe the first 3 years is free replacement. The only time one has failed, it was 4 years old in the wife's car, and it cost me $20 to get a new one. The battery in my Buick is the Autozone el-cheapo that the previous owner put in. 3.5 years with me and unknown time with him and it's still running fine.

For daily driving, regular batteries have been fine, usually last me 3-4 years in the Texas heat, but for my cars that sometimes sit for 2-3 weeks without being started or more, regular batteries have not lasted me more than 3 years, and I think that what most are referring to in this post. I just got an Optima for the first time so I'll see if it lasts longer than a regular battery....and the other plus to the Optima is no more corrosion on the cables or the battery pan.

Originally posted by cool 84
I went against my better judgement and bought an Optima red battery a month ago. My dad's failed after 2 days. Two friends of mine had bad batteries within the first month. I did a search on here and saw nothing but good results so I bought one anyway. I started the car for the first time, broke in the cam, and shut it off. I started it two more times after that with no trouble. I then had to leave town for a couple weeks so I disconnected the battery. I just got back in town and hooked up the battery. It was so dead the dome light didn't want to work. I unhooked it and put the battery charger on it. It immediately went into protection mode as if I shorted the terminals together. So it looks like this battery is no good after 3 starts. Just a warning for anyone else who might buy one. Right now we're 4 for 4 going bad in the first month on 4 separate cars.

Who cares they have a one year free replacment warranty :D