Optimas suck

cool 84

Got hotair?
I went against my better judgement and bought an Optima red battery a month ago. My dad's failed after 2 days. Two friends of mine had bad batteries within the first month. I did a search on here and saw nothing but good results so I bought one anyway. I started the car for the first time, broke in the cam, and shut it off. I started it two more times after that with no trouble. I then had to leave town for a couple weeks so I disconnected the battery. I just got back in town and hooked up the battery. It was so dead the dome light didn't want to work. I unhooked it and put the battery charger on it. It immediately went into protection mode as if I shorted the terminals together. So it looks like this battery is no good after 3 starts. Just a warning for anyone else who might buy one. Right now we're 4 for 4 going bad in the first month on 4 separate cars.

I am three for three with these batteries. I would not own another type of battery. Not one has failed me and the oldest has to be going on 5 years. By the way they are all red top and two of them are in cars that are used approx. once per month.
Jeff

I have had red tops in 4 different vehicles and had great luck with them. I am not doubting you Cool84 as with anything, there could always be a few lemons in a bunch. But I have had a few that I ran stone cold dead and charged them up and they were fine again. I also like the fact that they dont emite the sulfuric acid gas or corrode cables and trays like a lead acid.

Dammmm !!! I have 4 of them in my cars . 1 yellow and 3 red ... NEVER had a problem !!!! that is really weird !!:eek: maybe you have a short somewhere ??? Try another battery ??

RD

My yellow top is 6 years old now in my WE4.

Two and a half years for the red top in the GN.

6 years is about double what the Sears Golds would last. :p

cool84.

had same problem,would start one day and not the next,was dead and needed a charge. had a bad diode in the alt. i suggest that you pull the cable from the back of the alt and let it sit, i did for the last 3 weeks and car fires right up. with the alt connected wouldnt hold charge overnight.

These are the kind of things I heard when I did a search on these batteries. That's why I decided to get one even though at that point I knew of 3 different people that had problems. My battery was disconnected from the car when it went dead so I doubt it's a problem with the car. Like I said, it seems like it has a dead short. My battery charger will go into protection mode as soon as I connect it. This thing only sat for 2 weeks before going dead.

I have used 2 as well. One was in my 99 GT for 3+ years and it worked perfect. I have a Red Top now in the GN and my car sits for weeks at a time because I rarely drive it and it always starts right up.

They seem to have a memory of some kind.

You need to USE them for a while, and then they are OK, has been my experience. Put one in, and not use the car, and they'll need charged. Use it for a week, then you can park the car for weeks, and it'll fire right up.

Mine was *flakey* at first, but is ~5 years old now, and been fine for years. And today, it was 17dF when I fired her up.

I just bought an Optima Yellow top the other day. The female at the car store got out a book of compatable batteries. She told me I could get the 39.99 energizer battery and that's it. I just looked at her and picked up the yellow top. On the invoice it says, "Customer realizes the battery is not recommended for car".

Yeah, whatever.

Ran a red top for 5 years and put it in another car. Thought I'd try a yellow top in it's place. Dead within a month. Went back to a red top and it's been running fine for a couple of years.

Sounds like poor quality control.

I should've mentioned my dad had the yellow top which went bad. Maybe it is poor quality control. It seems if these batteries make it past the first month, they're great but so far no luck.

Originally posted by cool 84
I should've mentioned my dad had the yellow top which went bad. Maybe it is poor quality control. It seems if these batteries make it past the first month, they're great but so far no luck.

I have seen enough quality control issues in my line of work to the point that NOTHING surpizes me. Probably outsourced something on the battery.

18V Milwaukee batteries come to mind after reading this post. I have a pile of them that are dead and do not accept a charge, ranging in age from 8 monthes to 2 years in age. They claim there is no problem with thier product......... Believe it or not....

My V-8 S10 burnt down around a redtop

It was mounted down under the bed. Appearance wise, it had been pretty hot, and the plastic carry handle was melted. A month later, when I started taking the truck apart (salvaging the motor, trans and rear axle), the battery cable started sparking and almost started another fire. The battery was still hot, and didn't even need charging. They are the only battery I will ever use in my own vehicles now. :cool:

I just bought a red top, first Optima battery I ever bought cause I was tired of the Die Hards only lasting 3 years in cars that are not driven much...I search on here and did not find one negative post about Optima's is why I decided to try something different....hope it works well, been in the car 3 days and no probs.

I use a redtop in my 1980 malibu daily driver. I have had it in for almost three years now and no problems what so ever. Heck, it turned over just find after sitting a week and the temp outside was -8.

red top bad

I have had mine in for 6 months & it works fine. Put a good alternator behind it from a barely used place & it does a great job for me.

I have one yellow and one red, the red one sat on my garage floor for about 3 yrs then i put it in a car and it fired right up, the yellow one is in my 57 chevy with a new updated vehicle harness and alt, if i dont disconnect the bat after about 3 weeks it is dead. Who Knows?:confused: