Opinions On Tapping/knocking Noise!

XFactor

I own 87 "T" with about 29K and that is bone factory stock. The car drives excellent.

Now I have noticed a light tapping or knocking noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay.

When my car is started I sometimes, but not always, hear the noise. On one occassion the noise was really loud but quickly subsided (this after it sat for a couple months without running). Like I said the noise isn't always there, but it seems to be more consistent when it is really warmed-up or has been running for about 10 minutes or so. I hear a....................tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap in rythm with the engine at idle. And when the the throttle/RPM is increased it goes away. It is very difficult to pin-point. If I had to guess where it's coming from, it kinda sounds like it's coming front area of the motor (but not sure).

Now I even bought a engine stethascope to help me find it (before I take it to a mechanic). I placed the scope everywhere...............the intake/injectors, block, heads, headers, torque converter cover, turbo, and everywhere in between with NO reults. Only place I kinda detected a tapping noise was on the cam-sensor cap (but only on start-up). But it wasn't loud and noticeable as it should be with the scope on it. Also after warm-up the cam-sensor cap was quiet.

So I am at a loss. Could still be the cam sensor even though my car has only 29K?? What are some possibilities??? Man, this really stressing me out!! I'm praying that it isn't anything major :( .

Welcome to owning a Buick V6:D They all make some kind of weird noise so if you aren't getting metal, not losing oil pressure, no loss in power, just ignore it or it will drive you crazy;)

You could try listening to the area around the air conditioning compresor and the power steering pump . Some people have had loose/broken bolts in this area- myself includes. If I remember right , mine was a loose bolt to the lower, left side of the ac compressor. I don't remember if it was to hold the compressor or PS pump. Just looking at it won't tell you if it's loose- and the bolt that was loose on mine is nearly hidden by the compressor. Hope this helps.

XFactor

My car is doing the SAME exact thing. Only at idle, or when I'm rolling to a stop and have my foot on the brakes. I think it might be the powermaster, but I'm not sure. :confused: I can't pinpoint it when I have the hood popped. My car has 38k BTW.

Cam lobe(s)...

Keep an eye on the belt tensioner also. To elim accessories, you can remove the belt and start the car (for a very short period).

S

I'll look at the air compressor for a loose bolt. Hope it's something as simple as that.

One wierd thing I've noticed is that my 99 Pontiac GP GTP that I once owned used to make a similar noise, but it was more quiet and a lot less noticeable though. Go figure:confused: .

Worn cam lobe???????? Wouldn't I be able to hear that thru the block with the scope?

You can elim accessories (like A/C) by removing the belt for a short bit...

Cam lobe issue can be very hard to locate if its subtle. When you have exhausted other ideas the cam is just another thing to check.

S