Opinions on 70-72 Skaylark's/GS's

87gninpa

Have wanted one of these cars for a long time now and it looks like prices are getting pretty good. Just want some opinions on these in general from people who own/have owned them. Are they fun to drive, or do they just look cool and go fast straight (reminds of a few cars I currently own :biggrin:)? Any major problem areas with them (other than rusty bodies)? Is it worth looking for a 455 car, or is the 350 sufficient? Any opinions or observations appreciated.

Well, I am kinda biased as I own a '70 GS. Go drive some and see how you feel about it. The first thing you will notice is how long the hood is and how boat like it is to drive. I like mine though, I will admit I haven't had it roadworthy in a very long time. Go drive both the 455 and the 350 and see if the extra expense is worth it to you. I like the 455 but some might be satisfied by the 350.

I can attest to my friends mom's 72 350 skylark.. She had some balls. He beat the snot out of that car. I drove it once and liked it. it did have a bit of floaty boaty feel to it, but heck they used metal then.

I would say GO 4 IT.. Life is short, buy it, use it & if you don't like it flip it.

I'd rather drive my '70 GS than anything else I own. I don't think you'd be dissapointed with either a 455 or 350.

The '70 GS 350 is real strong, as you had higher compression. I had one that ran real good. I love my '70 GS 455. Stock form it kills tires. For some reason might don't float no mo :wink::D:eek:

I owned a '72 a few years back and had a lot of fun doing a "frame on" restoration. It was originally a Skylark Custom and converted to a Stage 1 replica. Loved the project, loved the car. Traded it off as I decided I enjoyed the turbo cars much more. My biggest warning is that any car you consider purchasing remember that these are not Chevys or Mustangs where replacement parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. If you want a really nice car therefore it become much more expensive than doing the same restoration on a Chevelle for instance. Rust issues hide around the rear window channel. As most cars of that vintage front and rear fenders harbor rust and the ever present battery tray rust. I enjoyed driving the car. And, you can actually do most mechanical repairs yourself (on the side of the road even!). If you have the itch, go for it. I would suggest a 350 car would give you just as much fun as the 455. I would be happy to share further details with you if you are curious.

Dean

I owned a 1970 GS455 number matching car from 1998 to 2009. I had sold my '86 GN in 1998 to buy what I thought was my dream car. It was a fun time of ownership but within 6 months after purchase, I was missing my boost fix! Bought another TR in 2000 and kept the GS too.

My advice- if you are seriously looking at one with a vinyl top, look hard as these cars (as most of that period) could develope rust issues with the back glass and top due to the design flaws. They ride good (full frame) but aren't near as practical as a nice Turbo Buick on many levels. I have no seller's remorse on selling my car. I was able to double my investment, but I can tell you that the GS brings way less $ than a comparable SS Chevelle, GTO, or 442 of the same year model. Shouldn't be that way but it is, and that can work in your favor as a buyer as it is a buyer's market in this economy. Roughly 90% of production of the GS were automatics and manual/ stick cars are very rare. Good luck! :)

I had a 72 GS455 as well... built up, ran nice. They're not just straight line cars, mine would corner with a civic (should've seen the face on that ricer when I still at his drivers door after the corner... and then I just left him:biggrin:)

By and large.. .I preferred the 455 to the turbo drive train. The turbo drive train has more potential, easier. But there's just something about a cammed, 455 with headers, 3in flowmasters and downpipes at the axle... that gets my blood pumping:eek:

I do miss my car, and hope the prices stay down long enough for me to snatch another.

Get one, you won't be sorry.

Sometimes I miss the rumble, so, I hop in my 70 GS, slightly modded [see sig] and rip it up. I always say the GS is fun to drive, and the T-type is a little scary, just a little....:biggrin:

I have owned my 87 GN since 93, and wanted one badly since 86. I also had the GS on my list, and finally bought a 72 GS 455 in 05. It is more or less a project, and needs lots of work. It is very easy to see the GS in the GN, as they were, for their times, the banker's hot rod from Buick. They share basic construction styles, and you can work on either with ease. Of course, the GN is more complicated and a better polished piece, but a good GS is a fine car, too. For me, I love the same things about both cars. The general public usually knows little about either, or, for the somewhat informed, they can't wait to tell you how bad ass your car is. It's the old "Going Fast with Class" that does it for me. Parts are somewhat harder to come by, but can be found for either. Plenty of Buick folks own both, and I wouldn't trade either one. Personally, I vote for the 455 for its performance potential over the 350 cars, but it can be very fragile in high horsepower apps due to its thin wall block. Check out V8 Buick.com, and you will find plenty of helpful, friendly Buick folks, just like on this board. Thanks, Rudy.

Thanks for the info guys, think I'm going to take the plunge. I would really like a 455 car, but if a nice 350 car comes along I wont turn it down. Price seem really reasonable on these right now, that why I was even thinking about it in the first place. Going to put the Cobra up for sale and go from there. Would love to keep it, but Im just about out of room:D

Thanks again guys.

I owned a '72 a few years back and had a lot of fun doing a "frame on" restoration. It was originally a Skylark Custom and converted to a Stage 1 replica. Loved the project, loved the car. Traded it off as I decided I enjoyed the turbo cars much more. My biggest warning is that any car you consider purchasing remember that these are not Chevys or Mustangs where replacement parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. If you want a really nice car therefore it become much more expensive than doing the same restoration on a Chevelle for instance. Rust issues hide around the rear window channel. As most cars of that vintage front and rear fenders harbor rust and the ever present battery tray rust. I enjoyed driving the car. And, you can actually do most mechanical repairs yourself (on the side of the road even!). If you have the itch, go for it. I would suggest a 350 car would give you just as much fun as the 455. I would be happy to share further details with you if you are curious.

Dean

Pretty much what I want to do, build a replica since real GS's can be pricey. Wife wants a convertible, so more $$$'s. Haven't been able to get there yet. Gotta get the GN back together first.:tongue:
John

I owned a 1970 GS455 number matching car from 1998 to 2009. I had sold my '86 GN in 1998 to buy what I thought was my dream car. It was a fun time of ownership but within 6 months after purchase, I was missing my boost fix! Bought another TR in 2000 and kept the GS too.

My advice- if you are seriously looking at one with a vinyl top, look hard as these cars (as most of that period) could develope rust issues with the back glass and top due to the design flaws. They ride good (full frame) but aren't near as practical as a nice Turbo Buick on many levels. I have no seller's remorse on selling my car. I was able to double my investment, but I can tell you that the GS brings way less $ than a comparable SS Chevelle, GTO, or 442 of the same year model. Shouldn't be that way but it is, and that can work in your favor as a buyer as it is a buyer's market in this economy. Roughly 90% of production of the GS were automatics and manual/ stick cars are very rare. Good luck! :)

Ole Evans got rid of his GS a while back and I was afraid he would regret it, and I am glad thet he doesn't. I saw Evans cars a few times and they are/were beauties.

With the said, I absolutely love my 72 Suncoupe. Maybe it being a Suncoupe helps some. My car has an almost 4' square moonroof in it and is factory original, and only made in 72. I recently added some power additions of ported heads, intake and exhaust manifolds and absolutely LOVE IT. I now think that if I had the motor build that I have now a few years ago, I may not have wondered into the dark side of the turbo 6 world, although I don't regret it. There is no way that I would get rid of my GS. The T will go before it if it ever comes to that. But that is me, and maybe because of my car combo.

Of everyone that see both of my cars, the GS is the most liked due to the nostalgic value -I am sure. It is an eye catcher, for sure. The T gets some attention from people that know what to look at in cars, but the GS just plain stands out on its own.

As for the years, the 70s will hold better value than 71 and 72 respectfully due to muscle desire. A 72 can run as strong and look just as good as a 70 if you make it that way.

Good luck !

Mike