Opinion on when to upgrade heads/cam

chadly

1) At what point are the stock heads and cam holding you back?

2) With my set up would heads and cam offer much/any gains?

The reason I ask is with the new motor that I building the only real difference will be cam and heads. Yes it has billet mains, balanced rotating assy, and apr hardware throughout. But that only makes it stronger not faster. I would hate to be done and in the same boat. Currently running 24psi always.

People have gone into the high 10's with stock long blocks but that's about the limit and requires hero amounts of boost to do it. Unless money is super tight I see no reason to not get the best heads you can, it will only make your goals easier to achieve and do it at less boost.

My VERY simple response to "When should I buy ported heads and roller cam?"

The day BEFORE you buy the car. Add to it injectors, billet wheel turbo, down pipe, fuel pump, chip, cold air intake, hot wire kit, good dual exhaust, alky kit, and a box of Depends* because you're gonna have some "Seat Seepage" the first time you stand on it.:D

i went 11.1 on the stock motor with a mild port job on the stock head.i know the stock cam and mild port were not holding the car back.it is easier to go faster with the heads and cam.since you have the built bottum end just get the heads and cam.

I have a good set of stock ported iron and a 206/210 roller cam to be installed. I’m just curios if I’m going to see much difference from now with the same 24psi?

The cam and head work @ your boost level should make significant gains all else equal.

As others have said in this thread, you can meet your goals with a stock long block and a lot of boost. With that being said, I would still add the cam and ported heads since you already have them and run the same high 10s with less boost.