Open Source EFI

Carl Ramsey

http://www.autoweek.com/article/201...to-rival-Megasquirt&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

rusEFI-Engine-Control-Unit.jpg&maxW=630

Ok I'll bite... What is meant in this case by Megasquirt being "Non-Open Source"? I can change absolutely anything I want in any file I want and if it is beyond my scope James C. has been more than happy to help me out and code a special INI file for me to make things work. This makes me feel that saying megasquirt is "Closed Source" at least in the context I have always used it in, is an invalid and incorrect statement.

With that said this system seems very barbaric/raw in it's current state (based off the article) of being and wouldn't be able to hold a candle against even a basic MS2 system which is about $280 and has a whole community of support, note that this includes an on-board 2.5BAR MAP sensor and multiple I/Os and comes with every singe piece you would need to make it work as well as very well defined assembly instructions.

This system would have to be nearly free at this point in time for anyone to consider trying to use it.

,Dan

"But what if you want to go open-source and install a custom ECU that gives you complete control over your engine's operation?"

There is not a single thing that I am limited to changing with a Megasquirt.

Open-Source as I have found fits the megasquirt code. Anyone can get it for free and modify it themselves as they see fit.
  1. denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.
I am sure they have copy wrote anything they make to stop others from creating "Their own" system and then suing B&G for selling something they have patented or something like that, I am not an attorney but everyone is trying to protect their own a$$.

Either way, regardless of who has a copyright you can do anything you want with it as far as tuning/programming with no limitations and being a through hole system it is very open to personal modifications to make it perform as you chose.

,Dan