Opel Manta

Jobi-Wan

I found a very straight early 70's Opel Manta. I've been debating pulling the engine out of the ttype and finding something cool to put it in, and I think I may have found it. What do you guys think? I haven't abandoned my 83 yet, just looks very cool and is at least related to Buick. Weren't they sold and serviced through Buick dealerships? I may be wrong, but haven't really looked into it yet. Anybody know what a stock (I think 73 Manta), under 50K, complete and running one is worth? It's not slick, but straight.

Yes, the Opel was indeed sold through Buick dealers. I really liked the 68-70 Opel Kadette Rally models, then of course, the 70 Opel GT, often referred to as a baby Corvette. The Opel Manta had really nice lines, actually looked like a BMW to some extent. A turbo motor transplant would be really cool!

I'd hate to see you cut the 83 apart but it would be a cool project. Kind of a tight fit though.

Got pics? I had one for awhile back around '85. JCWhitney even used to sell cams and headers for them. I had a Weber I got out of a junkyard on it. I thought it would have been cool to do it up as a mini GSX. Mine was blue with black buckets,auto console. I still have a NOS tail lense around here somewhere...:biggrin:

The would be pretty sweet. Has a nice looking front end but please chop that bubble top a couple inches and you'd have what would look like a mini rounder body of a GN.

Thanks for the feedback. I really would like to do it, but I just spent a bunch on building materials and things are adding up faster than I hoped. I just came across this car (always find cool stuff when you're not looking for it), so I'm going to wait a while and hope it doesn't go anywhere. I'm not really wanting to cut up the ttype though, maybe just play around with the parts while I do something with the body. I'd like to take the body off and tackle some of the rust and clean up the chassis. If I do anything with the T, it will have to be restomod, too many issues to make slick. Maybe even just do a 4.1 NA in the opel if I can somehow manage to buy it before it's gone. I've seen videos on GN powered Mantas, so the info is out there. I'd think the carb'd setup would be more than enough to be fun. I also got word of a decent opel GT. If they want to do some trading on my bike, that'd be even better. I've been looking for a small RWD, and it's hard to find anything anymore, so I'd like to get something and put it up. Can't wait for all the eye rolling when I bring this up with the wife. I showed her some pics of a Manta, so I know she's getting prepared for something.