On car injector cleaning?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
I was randomly reading through gnttype.org today and saw a little blurb about a process for cleaning injectors while theyre still on the car. I tried searching the forums here but couldnt come up with any more info. My car is a hot-air, and to remove the injectors, I think you have to pull the whole turbo, so if its possible to clean them on the car, that would save me a lot of hassle versus removing them and sending them out to have it done (plus, theyre old stockers, so if i spent that much money, id jsut rather get new ones). I dont have any severe pressure leakdown after the car is shut off, but i just bought it, and I know it sat for a little bit before I had it. I'm trying to sort out a few little problems with teh way the car runs, and I figure it cant hurt to clean any goop in the injectors. OF course, I imagine the on-car method probably doesnt do as good a job as getting them professionally cleaned, but for what i need, it would probably be good enough, and sure wouldnt hurt. Thanks for any help guys!

there is a kit made by borg-warner that screws to the fuel rail port and has a cleaning chemical. you unplug the fuel pump from behind the rear bumper and let the car run out of gas in the rail, then the can has a gauge and a hose the screws to the fuel rail port and runs off of the chemical.... the hard part is optaining this gauge., only repair shops can get these. but if you have a friend that works at a shop they might be able to get one for you. though the chemical is availible at any parts counter. the car will run for 30 min with the chemical

Vendors did sell kits to clean stock injectors on the car. I cleaned my own injectors several times this way (years ago).
You had to pull the fuse to the fuel pump or turn it off some way, and hook the cleaning system to the fuel rail. Run car untill it runs the can out of fuel. There was no guage with my kit as "mybuick described.
I guess we were to assume the injectors were clean, when the car ran out of cleaning chemical in the can.

details.... details.....

IMHO.....I think you guys left one major step out...... You need to crimp off the fuel line (where the line is rubber).... with vice grips ... or something..... so you don't flow this cleaner back down the fuel line into the fuel tank....

HTH

Blazer406,

The old instructions never said a thing about crimping a line, so I never did. Maybe I wasted a little bit of cleaner.

If your running pump gas a little cleaner might not hurt a thing if it got back into the tank, though the O2 might not like it. (not sure what was in the cleaner)
Anyway, I always carried extra O2s with me.

G McCall said:
Blazer406,

The old instructions never said a thing about crimping a line, so I never did. Maybe I wasted a little bit of cleaner.

If your running pump gas a little cleaner might not hurt a thing if it got back into the tank, though the O2 might not like it. (not sure what was in the cleaner)
Anyway, I always carried extra O2s with me.

hmmm.... that is interesting......

the first time I saw this procedure done... was when I worked in a GM dealership back in high school.... helping mechanics.... and sweeping floors..... and such..... and the mechanics I saw do this on other EFI cars... always crimped the fuel line...... I thought it made sense once I thought about it. I am somewhat suprised that some instructions don't mention this...... if the fuel injector cleaner is like 40 psi in the can..... at least I believe alot of it would end up in the fuel tank.......

Does my reasoning make sense?

Does anyone know a current source for this? Which, if any vendors still stock this product? thanks a bunch :)

BG Products or Wynns(sp) comes to mind,

I dont know how others have done this, but when I was doing it at the dealership, it was necessary to pressurize the container with the cleaner to open the injector(special tool of course). On Yukons, trucks, and things like that it took like 35psi to keep a vehicle running. You do have to disable the fuel pump by either unplugging the pump at the tank, fuel pump relay, or fuel pump fuse. And if there is a return line to the tank, it does help to crimp the line because sometimes it will blow thru the system straight to the tank. But most cleaner kits come with a tank additive and a can for the flush machine/can. Hope this helps

well for one thing on it flowing back to the fuel tank, it shouldnt get past the fuel pump. If the pump passed fluids in reverse under pressure, you wouldnt be able to get the fuel to the engine once the pump starts pumping, the fuel would run back to tank each time the pump cycles. The pumps have a valve in them that it pushes the fuel past, which is how the pressure is developed.

I found BG products on the web and it looks like they jsut sell to commercial outfits, and the Wunns stuff is jsut your typical pour-in-the-tank cleaner. Does anyone know of a turbo-buick vendor, or any other vendor online/mail-order that could get me a kit to do this? thanks again.

Yep.

I use 4 gallons gas one gallon xylene once every year or two to clean mine.

Probably no substitute for professional cleaning however.

Xylene is in most commercial dump in the tank cleaners only with a gallon you get a higher concentration as well as increased octane. :cool:

Might also be a needed to troubleshoot problems with the car if they include detonation.

I'm not a big fan of the stock injectors either.

I bought my injector cleaner kit from ATR years and years ago when I still had stock injectors.. It was a hose with an adaptor to the fuel rail and to the can of injector cleaner, which was under pressure. I used to buy the cleaner from NAPA, and would also crimp the return line. Kit was $30 or so at the time, no gauge or anything.

The car ran noticeably smoother after the first time I did it, and I would clean them about once per year thereafter. I have new injectors now (Mototron 60lbs) that idle smooth as glass, but still plan on using the kit this fall when I do my fall cleaning of the car. The cleaner is concentrated enough that it seems to also do a pretty good top engine cleaning job as when I removed the doghouse for giggles, looking down the ports you could see that the tops of the intake valves were noticeably cleaner than before the cleaning. I was sold.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

MaxVO2 I bought that same kit from ATR many many years ago...forgot I had it...can you still get the cans of cleaner from NAPA?...these cans work with the ATR kit?

Yep.

I use 4 gallons gas one gallon xylene once every year or two to clean mine.

Probably no substitute for professional cleaning however.

Xylene is in most commercial dump in the tank cleaners only with a gallon you get a higher concentration as well as increased octane. :cool:

Might also be a needed to troubleshoot problems with the car if they include detonation.

I'm not a big fan of the stock injectors either.

Definately the easiest. I use 1 gal to 3 gas not 4 gas & 1 ounce MMO for lube.
Also like you said it makes great race gas!

Just pop the injectors off, its pretty easy to yank em out, send them off to get cleaned the right way. I just sent a set to Chuck Leeper to clean and he has a 1 day turnaround.

I was in Advance Auto (NAPA??) the other day and they had 3m and their brand of injector cleaner on the isle. They did not have the adapter hose to screw from the can to the fuel rail. Can you use a set of AC guage lines? The NAPA brand was 14 bucks and the 3m was 22 dollars