Older 'Vette trys my GN

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
On my way to the cruise at Mark's Auto Parts Monday night, me and my friend Jeff are in the GN on the Rt. 20 connector to Bradley Int'l Airport. We come up on a '68-'70-ish white Corvette with an L-88 scoop, with 427 badges attached to it. Kinda doubt it was a genuine L-88, but it is a nice car. He sees me behind him, throttles it a little bit, and lets off. He does this a coupla times. I have the Hoosiers and skinnies on the GN, so there's no way I'm gonna partake in a corner-carving contest with this dude.

We get off the highway, and wouldn't ya know, we hit a red light together. I hear a couple healthy sounding revs, clearly intending to get my attention. Jeff just says "You had best smoke this clown, you know damn well he's got nothing on this car!" Well, I didn't really know that, but I was feeling cocky that night so I obliged. :D The light turns green and I wait for him to move. He walks it off the line, holding it in 1st gear, and I do the same, waiting for his next move. He starts gassing it a little harder with each passing second. OK, it's on now!! :D

I'd had enough, time to get down to business. We must have been reading each others minds, because we both punch it at almost exactly the same time. "Alky On" lite goes on, and the boost gauge goes berserk and pegs 22psi. The Hoosiers hook like glue....I'm outta there, walking him right away. The shift lite glares at me at 5K and I hit 2nd. Turbo is singin' the sweet note that only it is capable of making, and the shift lite does its thing at 5K again and I slip the shifter into 3rd. I waited for him to let off before I did. After about 1/8 mile or so, I had a clear 3 cars on him. He follows me into the cruise, and parks right next to me. I was gonna get out and compliment him on his ride, but he and his woman get out and walk in the other direction....oh well, f*ck ya then!. :mad:

All in all it was a great night, spent some time talking to Cakes, and got a lot of compliments on the GN. Even got the now-standard "You got NAHHHHS on this thing?" question. No son, it's a turbo V6. :)
Saw Jack C. and the Pumpkin, but by the time I got over to talk to him, he had already left, bummer.

Steve

nice kill

Jeez if that was a real L-88, then thats a 430 HP Big Block you just b*tch slapped. Nice one.

I doubt it though.

Glad to hear Vettes of all C's are gettin' smacked down upon. :D

The L88 is a flat out race motor. That was one of the baddest Corvette motors ever produced. 430HP is WAY underrated. At least 500HP from the factory:eek:
Black Box I dont know what your car runs but this most likely was not an L88. Sounds like it was a big block, though. Great kill:cool:

I have an old car mag somewhere where the L88 was dyno'd before the orig. engine was pulled to install another for some type of daytona race or something and w/ I believe w/ dyno headers it made right at 560 at an rpm 1000 or 1500 higher than the factory rating. Kinda sounded like the factory just picked a lower HP number at a lower RPM and reported that so they weren't really fibbing :D

I'm pretty sure it was no genuine L88. It had the sound of a BB, but it wasn't race-engine raspy. Probably just a mild BB. Didn't get to see under the hood of it.

Thanks
Steve

I remember way back when, when I was 16 and just getting into cars, and seeing crate L88 short blocks, LS6's, LS7's and such being sold from GM parts dealers in the pages of Car Craft. 4340 forged rods, 12.5:1 forged pistons, solid lifter cams etc....I always dreamed of putting one with a set of the "076" rect. port aluminum heads in my '77 Camaro. :D

My car got some stank (for a stock turbo & IC bolt-on car; 12.74 @ 106), but it ain't hangin' with a real live L88.

Black Box if you would have stuffed an L88 into your Z you would have probably blown it up on pump gas :D
Just as well that you didnt get one

Who said anything about pump gas? :D There would have been no 'probably' about it! :D
A 16 year old with a Camaro and a 500 horse 427....that just reeks of trouble! :eek:

Your right!

Originally posted by blackbuick87
The L88 is a flat out race motor. That was one of the baddest Corvette motors ever produced. 430HP is WAY underrated. At least 500HP from the factory:eek:
Black Box I dont know what your car runs but this most likely was not an L88. Sounds like it was a big block, though. Great kill:cool:

I just looked back on one of my old CHP's and found that the L-88 did make an est. 560 HP. My bad.

Gives me goosebumps ;)

Good story, and a little FYI...

A friend of mine just rebuilt an L-88 for an original matching numbers L-88 '69 Corvette. With factory exhaust manifolds, it dyno'd at 460hp. The magazines at the time claimed a 100hp increase by installing headers, so he yanked the manifolds and installed an original 1969 corvette "off road only" exhaust from GM consisting of headers and wide open side pipes. The result? 530hp just by ditching the iron exhaust manifolds. These are at the crank numbers, not at the wheels.

Still, not bad for a motor you could have just by checking a box on your order sheet :D

Big Paul technically you were correct because 430hp is the number that GM released from the factory to keep the insurance companies from having heart attacks.

A friend of mine has an original crate L-88 he bought back in the time and has it in a fiberglas 32 ford 3 window coupe. Its bad, but not that bad.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Big Paul technically you were correct because 430hp is the number that GM released from the factory to keep the insurance companies from having heart attacks.

Thats what I thought. :D

Good kill Shoebox.

L88s are ok but a 1968 ZL-1 Vette would be better. Was second fastest( AC/Cobra was first ) all -time OLD muscle cars. Put a good ET street on it and your close to the 11s stock. Guy has a stock 69 ZL-1 Camaro with low 12s on good tires.

bsdlinux.....

........the ZL1 Vette had the L-88. BUT, the L-88 in the ZL1 was all aluminum........in my CHP it says only 2 were sold in '69. Are you sure this is a real ZL1? Or just an aluminum 427 built up with the same specs?

Paul, I think he was saying '69 ZL1 Camaro....69 were built, compared to 2 ZL1 'Vettes.

And who the hell is Shoebox? :confused: :D

Steve

late night posts

Originally posted by Black Box
Paul, I think he was saying '69 ZL1 Camaro....69 were built, compared to 2 ZL1 'Vettes.

And who the hell is Shoebox? :confused: :D

Steve

Count me in for too many late night posts. ZL1 Vettes, and ZL1 Camaros, boy i'm out of it............................

I believe that there were plenty of non-L88 427 cars produced, so his car may not be badged incorrectly. I believe they were iron blocks and obviously produced substantially less power than the L88s.

I'm not exactly a late C2/early C3 guru though, so I might be wrong. :p