oil pump rebuild?

turbogimp

see the problem that im having is that the oil pressure is slow to rise when i first start it and the engine knocks a little at first then goes away. when the oil pressure is up the engine runs great so how much of a pain is it to rebuild the oil pump on an 84? or should I just rebuild the hole engine? thanks in advance.

turbogimp said:
see the problem that im having is that the oil pressure is slow to rise when i first start it and the engine knocks a little at first then goes away. when the oil pressure is up the engine runs great so how much of a pain is it to rebuild the oil pump on an 84? or should I just rebuild the hole engine? thanks in advance.

Pump rebuild itself is the same as on any other TR.
Here is a link to get you started.

Hard to say if you need to rebuild the motor. Could be a lifter, but, oil pressure rising slowly is not a good thing usually. Drop the pan and check the main bearings.

FWIW - I had the same problem and pulled the motor "just in time".

is it better to pull the engine to do it or can it be done in the car? is it a long job? is there an easy upgrade to the oil pump? what place sells it? sorry for all the questions. thanks alot

turbogimp said:
is it better to pull the engine to do it or can it be done in the car? is it a long job? is there an easy upgrade to the oil pump? what place sells it? sorry for all the questions. thanks alot
Pump rebuild can be done with an installed engine. Easier if you remove the cover, but at this point, I would suggest you rebuild in the car. Afterall, why take the cover off twice? See link for details on rebuild.

"Long job" depends on what you find when you take it apart. Just make SURE you take your time and "Do it right"!

Go to NAPA and get the HV rebuild kit if needed. (gears, gaskets, etc.) Nothing special. Kit is about $50 complete.

Did I mention to make SURE you take your time and "Do it right"? :)

EDIT
Before anyone gives feedback on HV pumps, you may want to review this and decide for yourself.
I think it is the "right decision" for a "loose motor".

thank you very much you have been a great help. after reading the link I dont think its my oil pump anymore I think its my main and rod berrings. witch means I'm going to rebuild the hole engine. besides i get a better cam this way :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: MORE GO POWER :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: thanks again

there are some mods that can be done to the oil pump
try a search on here or other buick sites,
or contact taperformance.com
drilling out some of the passages will release strain on pump and cam sensor
if your going to rebuild i wouldnt go with the longer gears as you could get
to much pressure which will strain cam gear/cam sensor gear
andy