oil pump prime

D

Dave85

What is the easeiest way to prime the oil pump with no oil cooler?
I ended up getting a VDO electric oil pressure gauge I haven't got it yet does anyone know if it comes with everything to install and what is the easeiest way to install the gauge. Thanks for the help.

Dave85

This works real good and it eliminates the use of petroleum jelly that you will need to save for when you go to the parts store to buy parts for your TR.:D Check this> http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/PRIMING.html
I use an old NA buick v6 distrubutor with the cam gear ground down and the top modified to accept a 3/8" drill motor.Makes life a little easier.

The distributor drive works great. You still need to use vasoline in the pump. I couldn't get mine to prime with a drill the time I forgot the vasoline. I ended up having to hook the dremel tool up to it and spin it around 10,000rpm for about 30 seconds before it primed.

I did it exactly as the link says with no vaseline and it worked.The pump was new and empty.The only thing I did different was I used a nipple type cap like on the gear oil bottles and put a small ruber hose on that and was actually able to lightly squeeze the oil bottle to force oil in the turbo line.Maybe that is why it worked for me.I don't like putting something like vaseline in the motor especially a fresh one.But that's just me, maybe it's ok. I don't know if vaseline or other stuff like grease or whatever is bad for the bearings or not.

Just read the link. I didn't realize you were talking about pouring oil down the cooler line. That looks better than vaseline.