Oil Pump housing; oil leaks

Roc87

11 Second V6
I've read some posts that this is what leaks the most on the front half of the motor, and let me tell ya, Have I got a leak:mad: . I have the oil pump booster plate from postons and have been a little busy to put it on. Would putting this thing on seal it up? There's so much oil caked in around the thing I can't tell what parts are there! What is this "scoring" I've heard about? Help! I'm going thru 1/2 quart of oil in about 5 days....

the scoring is in the cover where the gears ride...the steel plate is harder and should not score under normal conditions.

There is a chance that the leak is under the oil cooler adapter...lot's of them leak there with age. Some use a slightly larger O-ring to combat the problem.

Yea, I think that's where it's coming from is behind the oil cooler adapter. So the parts from the block are, block, oil pump housing, oil cooler adapter, and then oil filter?

If you want to be critical...

...the oil pump housing is actually part of the timing cover. So it goes:

Block, timing cover (with oil integrated oil pump housing), pump plate, oil cooler adapter, then filter.

:p

Yeah, it's probably the O ring that's leaking, to get the cooler adaptor off, you unscrew the center piece that the filter usually screws onto. It takes a 7/8" socket..... Then the adaptor simply slides off..

A new O ring will fix this leak if this is where it is leaking. The thicker O ring will work good.

Thanks Guys! After inhaling some "Gunk" foamy engine cleaner last night it seems like that O-ring is the culprit. Be calling out to one of the vendors Monday.

Seems like after your 50th order you'd get a preferred customer discount!:D (yeah, right:rolleyes: )