Oil pressure

I finally took the time to look into this today. Been sitting for way too long! ;)

Think may have (99.9% sure) found the oil pressure problem on the T-Type. Dropped the oil pan today and found that the oil pickup tube screen was totally collapsed down and had junk stuck in the screen plugging the oil tube pickup. The screen was smashed down to the tube hole. Oil had to be going mostly through the pickup bypass. Hense why the oil pressure starves at higher rpm. The junk (looks like little pieces of shop rag material) had to have gotten sucked up the first time I got into it. Where can I get a good new pickup tube? Anybody make a good HV unit for these cars? Only thing I've heard is stick to the GM unit. Are those still available?

Man ive seen that more than once. The lint collects and makes another shop rag in there. I try my hardest to not use red shop rags or blue shop disposable towels.I had this happen to my 5.0 but i caught it before any damage occured.

I use a melling pick up tube in mine. It seem well made , certainly as good as a GM unit.

Chad,

Just so happens I have the numbers for you on the GM units. I figured I would try one this time since everyone thought the others sucked. I used all the others and had no problems:D I can say the stock has a like little bypass in case the screen plugs up which all the others don't have. It is a bit more than the others at $17.00. Here is the part #'s:

Pickup- 25505644
Gasket- 24501259

Also the gasket looks to be a little better in quality than the others due to the raised region on one side. Maybe some things it is better to spend double the money on as long as they are available. When they aren't though, then we have a problem:eek:

Originally posted by Intercooler
Chad,

Just so happens I have the numbers for you on the GM units. I figured I would try one this time since everyone thought the others sucked. I used all the others and had no problems:D I can say the stock has a like little bypass in case the screen plugs up which all the others don't have. It is a bit more than the others at $17.00. Here is the part #'s:

Pickup- 25505644
Gasket- 24501259

Also the gasket looks to be a little better in quality than the others due to the raised region on one side. Maybe some things it is better to spend double the money on as long as they are available. When they aren't though, then we have a problem:eek:

I got the new parts today from GM. The screen that was in there before is MUCH finer than the new one and isn't all smashed down over the pickup tube. I'll find out soon if this fixes it!! This car never did have that great of oil pressure stock before I did these parts (10 idle to 50 psi WOT) and it could all be from this freakin pickup tube! I can see why a little junk could plug it up easily.

Got it back together and drove it for a few hours. I get a steady 70 psi WOT everytime. Not real thrilled about 11 psi hot idle in gear but I guess it will be OK.