oil pressure problems?

pnamarble

my t type has 206,000and resently put an oil guage in it and noticed at a cold start it had 80 psi and when it warmed up only 10 psi would putting a spacer with bigger gears work or do i have to replace the timing chain cover

I run a hi-volume pump. You could install that or install what's called a booster plate with your stock pump. Changing your timing chain won't increase oil pressure. If you have the original in your car, by all means, replace it.

Using the PTE remote oil filter/turbo saver is a way to gain 3-4 more idle psi. Good $ and quality part. You will no longer be able to use factory cooler-without alot of trouble anyway.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I run a hi-volume pump. You could install that or install what's called a booster plate with your stock pump. Changing your timing chain won't increase oil pressure. If you have the original in your car, by all means, replace it.
Running a booster plate won't increase oil pressure either. However, if installed with new gears, will give quicker pressure at startup. Ten at hot idle is not bad. I'd leave well enough alone. You may consider changing out the main and rod bearings if you really must.

I agree, 10 PSI at hot idle is not bad. Especially for the mileage.

First of all, running a booster plate WILL increase oil psi IF the surface has become worn. Replacing the gears probably won't do a damn thing. They don't wear much, the surface they ride on does.

Second, using a PTE turbo saver has zero relationship with the factory oil cooler. They work together nicely.

The psi doesn't sound terrible for the mileage, but doing a few things like the booster plate can only help. Good luck

Simply slip a booster plate in there and let us know what the hot-idle oil pressure difference is. I bet its nothing. Don't get me wrong, the booster will provide quicker pressure and increased durability. Before installing one, you may want to research other tweaks, e.g., opening up the oil hole in the plate (Merkel article per GM Hi-Tech), that will increase the pressure. You'll get lots of opinions regarding the turbo savers; some swear by them and others will give them away. I'd personally like to see an adapter that allows us to screw the filter on in the upright position at the stock location.

If the thrust surface that the oil pump gears ride on becomes worn, pressure will be lost. Providing a new surface will restore pressure. Now, if the surface is not worn, you would be correct, the pressure difference would be virtually nothing. With over 200,000 miles, I assure you his is worn. Mine was at 47,000. This is a tried and true thing, not just my opinion.

What you say sounds logical. However, I've changed out my share of them and noted very little difference in hot-idle pressure. I believed, like you and the vendor hype, prior to changing them out. Just change one out, document the difference, and see for yourself. If you want to increase the pressure, you'll have to go elsewhere. I don't recommend increasing the viscosity either. That may increase the pressure but it won't do squat for increasing the volume. Generally, good bearings will provide good pressure and a good pump will provide quick pressure.

Well, if a scored oil pump cover is what is causing the low oil pressure, then of course, a booster plate installed properly will give you an increase in oil pressure. With 200K on his motor, new bearings would definitely bring back the oil pressure. It's a pretty easy job to change the bearings with the engine in the car.

As far as turbo savers, I'm putting one up for sale for $100 as soon as I remove it from a GN I just purchased. I sold the one I had on my Red T for $100 at the Nationals. Any takers?