oil pressure problem

rod2239

Ok, here is a weird one. I've done a complete engine rebuild. Motor cranks and idles good. Only one issue, after 5 attempts, I still have no oil pressure. I replaced the entire oil pump, and made sure the gears were rotating. I made sure all passages were clear. Took the front cover off and made sure the oil passage hole was clear. dropped the pan and made sure their was no blockage there. Am I missing something? No, it's not my oil pressure gage. There is no oil being drawn from the pan at all. the only oil in the filter is what I put in it.. There was no oil in the front cover. Should I wait longer for the pump to build pressure. I read where if I prime the pump with petrolium jelly that it would help.. Anyone have similar experiences like this?

who sells those oil pump priming drill bit tips cheap

i think harbor frieght has it for 15$ any where else? can i make my own?

who sells those oil pump priming drill bit tips cheap

i think harbor frieght has it for 15$ any where else? can i make my own?

Junk yard, find a distributor for a 3.8. You might try priming the pump threw the oil cooler line, one will take the oil, remove oil line from radiator and fill.

make one out of a junkyard distributor- gut everhting out of it, cut off the part where the rotor mounts, and grind the teeth off the drive gear. use a good 1/2" drill turning in the proper direction.

FWIW;
I do not pack the pump and prime with a drill on the stand. No issues getting oil pressure. :cool:
Also, verify the pick-up tube is not leaking at the gasket.
Try a search for "Oil priming". Lots of good info.

Great info that worked. I primed the pump with Vaseline and cut an old screw driver that I used as a priming tool. Popped it on the drill and it primed up to
40 lbs of pressure. Put the cam sensor on and timed it with Caspers Cam tool and she cranked right up.. thanks everyone for the info. That's why this forum rocks!!

what does it drop to after it gets hot? also what spring do you use in the pump? i use the yellow spring and get 60lbs at startup which drops to 17lbs at hot idle with a 10w 30 oil and no additive. i swapped to rotella 15w-40 and i seemed to be around 20lbs at idle but it may not have been fully heated since it didnt drive the car but around the block.

drops to about 18 lbs at idle once it got nice and hot. At start up, it was about 60 lbs as well and that was with the yellow spring. Don't be shocked if your pressure dips down to 12 lbs at idle on a hot summer day.