oil pressure loss

sweetgn

I was driving to work the other day and heard a tapping coming from the engine, like a bad lifter. I glanced at the oil pressure gauge and it read approximately 30 psi. Not normal at highway speeds for my car but I was two miles from work and figured I could baby it the rest of the way. As I got closer to work, the oil pressure slowly dropped until the gauge registered 10psi at 2000 RPMs. I was about to shut it down when the oil idiot light popped on. Luckily I was able to drift most of the way to work. I started it back up and had about 15 psi, enough to get to work. Still sounds like one of the lifters is suffering a collapse, I'm hoping from little oil pressure. Where do I start? I was thinking about checking the spring at the oil pressure relief valve and seeing if it broke or maybe a particle of dirt in the valve not allowing it to close. Could I be that lucky or does this sound like a worse problem. It seems strange the oil pressure SLOWLY dropped over a two minute period. Any ideas?? Please help! I've never taken out the oil pressure relief valve. I would appreciate any advice on that job. Thanks.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but did you check the oil level? You might have a hose leaking or something. When you turned it off, enough oil drained down to start pumping again?

How old is the timing chain? Only other thing I can think of is something blocking up the pickup screen (like pieces of a nylon cam gear).

I don't think the spring is going to be of any use. Sorry!

Yes, the oil level is fine. There are no leaks. The timing chain has to be fine as the car runs. It was replaced in '98 at time of the rebuild. I failed to mention the car used to produce about 80 psi at startup now it is 20 psi at startup today. I only left it run a few seconds. Thanks.