oil pressure loss after oil change

kraus

So im helping a friend with a 87 turbo t. Motor was just fresh and gone thru. Put about 100 miles on and noticed at idle oil pressure was hot idle about 10psi. Was running 10w 30 in it, dropped oil and filter. Started up took for a ride and oil presssure is less then 10 hot. Switched to 15w40 oil and a wix filter.
Now no pressure and line to gauge does not have oil even feeding to gauge. I am assuming a bearing or clearance in a bearing is not right.... but I am open to other ideas.

what kind of gauge, I have fought with some cheapo gauges that were terrible below 20 psi.

is the oil light still functional? I think they switch at around 3 psi.

do you think it might have lost prime? stuck pressure regulator, or other issue (bad pump gear)? aftermarket pump or GM stocker?

Bob

Can you hear a difference- is there an audible tick from the valve train - like Bob said, some cheap (and some expensive gauges with cheap ass senders) have issues with accurate pressure readings at lower PSI. I had a sender go bad and I KNEW I had oil pressure. After contacting my expensive gauge manufacturer to get specs on the sender they used, I bought a VDO sender with the same specs..... And like I knew already- I had good pressure.
aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a ported pump/modified pump, has the cover clearance been set?
Is it a aftermkt cover that's been "ported" by someone else?
When you changed the oil, did you cut the old filter open?
No oil at the turbo sounds to me like a serious issue that needs immediate attn. As in, don't start it.

an overtightened fitting on the poly line to a gauge can cause the line to be pinched off

Mellings pump with a ta front adjustable spring setup. No mods to cover, pump set to specs.
Has normal comp cam roller lifter noise. Im afraid to run to long with no pressure on gauge. No stock oil sender hooked up.

After oil change started and ran had oil pressure drove till got hot like said. Notice pressure was like 10 ish. Shut off to adjust no pressure on restart.

no pressure..dont start it
pull cam sensor run a prime tool on the pump shaft with a drill (clockwise) and put a gauge you can trust on the end of the turbo oil feed line ..if you still dont have pressure while spinning with a drill
pull the pan and verify the pump pickup tube is properly attached , you can check for debris while youre there
if that looks good pull the pump and check the pump drive gear for a crack in the gear pocket
if the pump gear is stuck good to the shaft then it has to be clearance issues

I was wondering about gear failure. I had searched a lil after post and saw this video

Well tried reprime zero results. Pulled oil filter hardly anything came out. Pulled pump gears tried to turn nothing. So I guess next check pickup...

Another possibility is one of the oil galley plugs popped out of the front of the block.

Bob

Pans off no major shavings, oil came out normal color.
Did not cut the filter open yet. Dumped it out but did not get any thing out of ordinary, color or shavings wise.
This far in guess ill pull timing cover off

Ps first oil filter was fine cut open nothing in it. Had oil pressure with both filters. Drove car 20 minutes with send filter on it after Hot it lost pressure. Like said pan is off now and I don't see anything that scares me.

You will see oil running while priming if the driver side oil galley plug fell out. But you would still have oil pressure at gauge. Not so if the passenger side fell out. I had this happen. Use a camera through cam sensor hole to verify. It'll save pulling the timing cover.

You will see oil running while priming if the driver side oil galley plug fell out. But you would still have oil pressure at gauge. Not so if the passenger side fell out. I had this happen. Use a camera through cam sensor hole to verify. It'll save pulling the timing cover.
thanks ill try that