oil pressure gage install

bholker

Is there a kit of sorts necessary for installing a mechanical oil pressure gage, or do you typically get what you need with the gage? And, what's the procedure like?
Will be going on an 86 gn.
I haven't looked things over real close, thought i'd check here first.

Usually, like an Autometer for instance, the gauge will come with the plastic tubing and fittings. I used a copper tee off the factory oil pressure sending unit fitting. Also, I ran mine with 1/8" copper tubing. I found that the plastic tubing crimps very easily, plus you have to watch getting it close to exhaust. You can use the fittings that come with the gauge on the copper tubing. I ran mine through the grommet in the firewall next to the steering column.

I pretty much did what URSPANKED did. The nylon tube is too close to the turbo and other heat sources for me. Note that this is a HA set-up but the principles apply.

PS:
The loop in the copper tubing is to reduce any chance of cracking resulting from vibration etc ......... plus it gives me some extra for future repairs. :tongue:

Attachments

• Oil Pressure connection.jpg
    Oil Pressure connection.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 288
An idea I read on this site that I used on my current set-up works very good and is cleaner with less chance of leaks.

I removed the stock fitting and drilled and tapped it to accept the fitting that came with the gauge.