Oil pressure at idle

InHock

I just rebuilt my motor and installed a new high volume oil pump.The oil pressure is at about 60lbs when you start the motor and after the temp gets up to between 160 and 180 it drops to about 20lbs at idle. My question,is that ok or should it be a little more? I am using castrol 10w30 syntec oil. When I raise the rpm it goes back to around 40 to 50lbs but I thought it should be more at idle.

Why do you use the syntec? I like a heavier oil like Rotella 15w40. I tried using Mobil 1, or synthetic but it seemed to find oil leaks for me...too viscous.

I just rebuilt my motor and installed a new high volume oil pump.The oil pressure is at about 60lbs when you start the motor and after the temp gets up to between 160 and 180 it drops to about 20lbs at idle. My question,is that ok or should it be a little more? I am using castrol 10w30 syntec oil. When I raise the rpm it goes back to around 40 to 50lbs but I thought it should be more at idle.

That is exactly what my bone stock low milage Turbo Buick has both hot and cold on mobil 1, so I'd say that's perfect.

Your oil pressure is affected by the set-up of your oil pump as well as the condition/tolerances of your rings and bearings. You have control over oil pressure, to some degree, by the choice of spring and gear clearances in your oil pump. Did you do anything to your oil pump before installing it when you did your rebuild?
I've always been led to believe it is best to break in a new motor with dino oil and switch to synthetic later if you want to use it. I don't know if its ever been quantified but the logic behind it seems to make sense to me. Also, 20psi at idle is OK but in comparison, my recent rebuild with 600 miles on it hot idles at 28-30 and runs about 50 at cruise. I used the middle tension spring from the oil pump kit when I set up my oil pump (now using 0-30 mobil 1 with no change in pressure from the break-in oil).
I am no expert with any car but I have stayed at Holiday Inns :biggrin:
MH

I bought a new pump,[dont remember which brand got it from oriellys] but I did put another spring in it. I have done this before in some chevy builds and it has always worked for me. I put synthectic oil in it for break in and should not have done that I guess. Look at my other thread on lifter noise and you can see what I did today.Thanks for you input though.