Oil pickup tube/screen

TTA197

I just bought a new oil pickup tube from Autozone made by Melling and when I compared it with the original, the new one is an 1inch shorter. Do you think this would be a problem?

Another thing to consider.

Nicholas,

When I purchased a new oil pickup screen form PAW (made by Melling), I noticed the screen mesh was woven more tightly than the stock screen. I was afriad it might restrict oil flow so I desided to returned it. I cleaned the stocker real good and re-installed it.

I later recall reading a few posts on the big list about people having oil pressure problems after installing aftermarket pickup screens.

Something to think about.

Originally posted by Fuelie600
Original GM for under $20. Why play around!

Ditto that. Don't use anything else or you'll be replacing your bearings and crank....

Geeeeeez! I have used them all Clevite, Sealed Power, GM, etc... with no problems. Just make sure you have the correct dimensions and it doesn't matter.

Originally posted by Intercooler
Geeeeeez! I have used them all Clevite, Sealed Power, GM, etc... with no problems. Just make sure you have the correct dimensions and it doesn't matter.

Hey Dude! Pay attention!:D We're talking about pickup tubes/screens. Not bearing brands.hee hee:D

Those are pickup tubes:D Yes, believe it or not Clevite makes a nice shiny one! I used theirs in the girdle motor that I just sold.

i used a sealed power one time. Months of diagnoising why my oil pressure wasn't great on my fresh engine (max pressure was 40psi) changed the pickup and over 60psi. Go GM only IMO

Maybe it was installation error. If it is the correct length and is brazed at the pickup/tube interface I don't know how it could make any difference what so ever in oil PSI. The only purpose it has is screening chunkage and getting down to the oil level or you could just suck up the oil from the bottom of the block without it even being in place. Maybe you had a misalignment in the gasket or improper part#.

If the screen mesh is too dense then the screen can be a restriction....

Ordered one from GM

Thanks for the replys. You guys convinced me, so I ordered one from GM ($17)....Nicholas.