Oil Pans

86WH1TType

GO KINGS GO
What different high performance oil pans are out there? Does anyone use Kenne Bells? Comments? Am I right that its $229.00.

My Engine is being rebuilt after spinning a bearing and my machinist says a Hi Performance oil pan can pretty much elliminate the possiblity of this happening again and really suggest me getting one.

TIA

Oil PANZ??

Get another machinist!!! If he thinks a trik oil pan will prevent failures, then he's dreamin or on crack!!
LOTSA guys going FFAAASSTT w/ stock pans. I'd spend the money elsewhere. Something besides a "non trik, stock" pan caused the brg to spin.

Re: Oil PANZ??

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Something besides a "non trik, stock" pan caused the brg to spin.

The cause would be lack of oil on the crank right? I know nothing is fail proof so what can I do to best prevent this from happening again.

Re: Re: Oil PANZ??

Originally posted by 86WH1TType
The cause would be lack of oil on the crank right? I know nothing is fail proof so what can I do to best prevent this from happening again.

Not necessarily "lack of oil", detonation can easily take out a bearing, contaminated oil, like with fuel or water, and of course the simple one of not having enough, or proper bearing clearance.

My opinion is that of Chuck's, would not want that guy to build my Buick motors!

I really appreciate all your inputs but one of my auto teachers also recommended the oil pan to me. My teacher "diagnosed" it as lack of oil to the front of the Crank. I know that doesn't mean that thats all that caused it but why does this seem to be such a dumb recommendation? Thanks

Your bearing problem may have been caused be lack of oil. But what caused the lack of oil? Probably NOT the already baffled stock turbo oil pan?

Assuming the damage was done during hard acceleration, the oil is forced to the rear of the pan. This is where the oil pick up tube/screen is sitting.

If a K-B, or any other oil pan, could magically cure spun bearings, lots of us would be using them!

I assume that since you have a teacher and are still attending school, you are one of our younger, less experienced owners? Let me just tell you that there is more info provided by the 1000's of years experience in turbo Buicks here, than you can find in any school. You are certainly asking the right questions, in the right place, to get the best service and performance out of your T-R.

Lack of oil to ft of the crank

The above comment was most likely made due to the fact the spun brg were at the ft of the crank. The recommendation isn't "dumb", just made by a person that's not taken the time to think about what they are saying. [vs what's really happened]
If the oiling system is looked at from a functional view, it's the pump forcing the oil to the brgs thru the ft cover and block, to the mains to the rod brgs, out of the brgs into the teachers "favorite item", the pan. The pan does deliver the oil to the pump, but surely DOES NOT oil the bearings directly.. Thus the comment that the pan needs modified to put oil to the ft of the crank is incorrect.[The ft brgs get oil first, anyway.]
Do yourself a favor and heed the advice from those on this board and find the REAL cause of the problem and correct it.... IT'S NOT the pan!!
There have been lots of ideas thrown out here: detonation, wear, contamination, no oil, etc, etc.... Follow thru w/ these suggestions to find the REAl cause.
Are FAR too many 10 and 11 sec TR's w/ stock pans out there.;) ;)

PS: Ask your shop teacher and mechanic to subscribe to our lists and boards.... There's ALOT of "insider info" here they could benefit from!!:cool: :cool:

You should listen to Nick and Chuck, they are totally correct about the stock pan. There have been some problems caused by some after market pans without a baffles.
Bell's pan is a stock pan that has been cut and deepened with a band of steel in the sump. It holds about a quart and a half more oil and still has the stock baffle in place. At one time it also came with a the extended pickup, not sure about now. It will not hurt anything, but you do not really need it.
The oil pan did not cause the bearing problem. Pump good? Along with the things the guys mentioned?

Thanks for your help guys. I know that you guys know your "stuff" and thats why Im hear. I am so thankful for tb.com and gnttype.org.

Just a general question on Oil Pans then...are all hi performance pans bogus for all cars or do some need it?

Originally posted by 86WH1TType
Just a general question on Oil Pans then...are all hi performance pans bogus for all cars or do some need it?

Am sure it will help in other cars. If you have a specific brand in mind, there is probably a site like this that could give you an excellent answer.