oil pan gasket

Jims project

Jims project
did a search and came up empty.. which is the best gasket rubber or cork? am thinking i read it was cork..but also saw someone says its the rubber or silicone one? does anyone have the part numbers for these? thanks

I have only had luck with the thick cork gasket that kirbans sells. This time around I am using great stuff without a gasket

was thinking about going with the great stuff but I have a gridle on the block and I need to set the clearance between the pick up tube and pan. so I might have to take it of and on several times

i dont think any of the vendors do, you have to go to their website and it will direct you to the store

Are you using a stock pan? If so I don't think you need a gasket to set pickup height. The stock pan has nubs (cant think of correct word) to keep from crushing gasket. These contact block pan rail and set the height. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I have never needed to set pickup but it seems pan depth would be the same with or without gasket once torqed if using stock pan

I have the Cometic pan gasket on mine. The material that they are made of is kind of hard and will break if bent too much The first one was received broken in half through the bolt holes from shipping.

Are you using a stock pan? If so I don't think you need a gasket to set pickup height. The stock pan has nubs (cant think of correct word) to keep from crushing gasket. These contact block pan rail and set the height. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I have never needed to set pickup but it seems pan depth would be the same with or without gasket once torqed if using stock pan

I've read since I have a gridle on my block I need to shim the pickup tube down.. if the gridle is .750 thick and i shim the tube down .375 i should have .375 to the bottom of the pan. to check it I would cover the tube with a baggy and use play dough on top of it and torque the pan on, and so i thought i should use the gasket..

The Felpro silicone gasket will tend to squish out and is more prone to leaks. I recently used a Duttweiler cork gasket to replace my leaking Felpros and so far no leaks. I have not used the Cometic ones but have heard good things and you can torque them down more than the others.

I typically use any of the vendors cork gaskets with silicone on both side.

Now as far as the girdle/pick up issue............I end up fabbing a new pick up EVERY time I install a girdle. The spacer sent with the RJC version puts the pick up too high in the pan for my liking. I like the pick up .375 from the bottom. The aluminum spacer moves it in a weird spot and way too high. Or.......you can buy the TA extreme pump and use an AN fitting welded to the side of the pan below the starter and run -12 hose to feed the pump, then drill out the side gallery of the block and re-tap and use -10AN to feed the engine. Real easy, right? nope, but real effective.

I've milled the aluminum spacer down to .250 so that should put my pickup tube at .375 I need to install the pan and check the clearance..