Oil filter clarification

karolko

I am going to run a remote oil filter braket that is made by CV Products. there are 5 different types oil filters that i can use. The major difference in the oil filters other than size is that some have an oil bypass set at 8-11 psi, 18-22 psi and one filter does not have any bypass.

Also, anti drainback. Does this mean that the filter has a 1 way valve that will not allow oil to drain out of the oil filter once the engine is off? But what if the filter is mounted with the opening facing up, then that shouldn't matter? Is that correct.

I would assume that, since the filter is up, no way(unless syphoned) for the oil to come out of the filter. If its high and the return is low, it might suck the oil out.

Grab a filter and blow into the middle of it, that is the best way to see if it has a anitdrainbackvalve made into the filter. Blow thru, no anti drain back, plugs up= anti drain back

Bypass, Are you running the stock front cover, it has a bypass built into it. Once the oil pressure reaches a HIGH oil pressure it bypasses the oil filter.

Why would they have a bypass at such low oil pressure? Maybe im not understanding the point of the bypass at low pressure.

What are you doing, a turbo saver or something, remote oil filter setup?
BW

ya i am running a remote oil filter and the billet piece has can have one of five different filters, so i must decide on which one i want. As for the front cover, i am next to 100% sure that i have the stock front cover. I have a kenne bell oil pressure boost plate, but i do not think that has anything to do with it.

Would it be okay to run an oil filter that has no bypass? would it be correct to think that if the filter media is large enough then no oil will be bypassed?

You really did not post enough info for a proper answer, but I will "assume" you are using the stock filter housing on the timing cover with an adapter for fitting/lines to run to the remote filter?:confused:

If this is the case, the bypass in the stock housing should still function. In that case, a filter with no internal bypass is fine.:smile:

As far as it needing to have a drain back valve, this is also not needed if the filter is mounted vertical.

Hey Nick,

My appologies, my questions are sometimes vaigue. What i am planning on doing is simply taking off the oil filter and mounting a billet block that simply screws onto the original oil filter threads. There are two 1/2 npt ports for in and out which will run up to my remote oil filter bracket, which will be mounted on the inner fender or something.

the only thing modified on the filter housing would be the kenne bell oil pressure "booster kit". It came with the motor, so i have no idea of how it works. Will this effect the regular bypass on the cover? Where is the regualr bypass located? Photos Maybe?

Thanks for all the help.

Adrian Karolko