oil filter being cut by intercooler bracket

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
My oil filter keeps getting sliced through by the mounting bracket for the intercooler as shown below. Kind of funny that my engine leaks no oil except what is coming from the punctured oil filter. :) Anyway, is that bracket adjustable at all? I am at work wondering about it and it is bothering me. The filter is touching it and getting cut and will get worse. If the bracket isn't adjustable, will I be able to bend it to give some clearance? I am trying to figure out why this is all of a sudden happening after all this time. Just consulting you guys for some tips.
20150805_084409_resized.jpg

That bracket is attached to the engine by 1 nut on a stud. it probably loosened up and is now moving a bit. Check that it is tight. The wire between the alt and battery is also secured to that stud. Its a grimy mess down there, so bring lots of cleaner.

I will get under it tonight and check that out. I'll report back what I see. Thanks.

Well, I am perplexed. The stud holding that bracket on was tight. I took the bracket and oil filter completely off and then put the bracket back on after cleaning it. The oil filter wouldn't even screw on without getting caught up on it. I kind of doubted it was loose since it would have to be pretty solidy mounted to be able to put pressure on the oil filter and cut it. I couldn't see anything out of alignment at all. Motor mounts looked fine too. Frustrated, I had to take it back off again and grind about 1/4" of material off with a bench grinder so the oil filter had clearance. I kind of felt like Edd China from Wheeler Dealers.

Last edited: