Oil Film in Up Pipe

cmokem

Went to do the yearly cleaning of the Intercooler and up pipe and found a thin film of oil in the up pipe and the discharge side of the intercooler. Turbo and turbo side of the intercooler are dry as a bone. I am thinking that the oil film is from the alchy and klotz mix. i am using only 1 capful per 1/2 gallon of alchy. Has anyone else run into this using klotz??? Also am I using too much oil for 1/2 gallon of alchy

Thanks in Advance

Bob

I use the same amount and have no film in either car.

Film would be red or pinkish if it was Klotz.

Thanks for the replay Salvage

Didnt notice the color of the film, but like I mentioned the turbo outlet and the inlet side of the I/C was completely dry. Other than the Klotz lube dont know what else would leave that type of film.

Bob

I use the same amount as well and don't have any oily film anywhere. Is it possible that your intercooler has remnants of oil. Try cleaning out the intercooler with brake cleaner and drying it out per the spring cleaning directions. Just a thought.

I cleaned the intercooler last year.....no oil in there after the cleaning...but now the film is back. If it was the turbo wouldnt I see oil on both ends of the i/c including the turbo outlet.

Bob

Sounds to me.....Coming from the same problem.....That the turbo seals are showing some wear. Maybe just under higher boost conditions. The oil doesnt have time to collect on the turbo side but does once it hits the other side. I am having the same problem with my TR right now but a little worse than your problem.
Good luck

From what I can remember from my older turbo that blew an oil seal there was oil all over the place...from the turbo thru the I/C and the up pipe. The turbo and the intake side of the I/C is dry to the touch...there is only a slight film on my fingers from the discharge end of the I/C

Is everyone using Klotz for lubrication or is there another choice??

Thanks
Bob

Check the breather on the passanger side head. May want to plug it on the intercooler and get a filter to replace the bypass. Verry common problem from my understanding.