Oil Cooler

mackdaddy

I posted on another board in here but need some opinions. Spun # 1 main bearing and in process of new forged crank keeping stock pistons just re-ringing new turbo and roller cam kit. There was some metal in the motor but would that metal have gone through the oil cooler in the radiator? Just spent about $750 to have the radiator redone and line last year. Is there a way to clean out the oil cooler or will I have to get a new radiator w/ the cooler built in. This car will be 99% street driven.

That is an excellent question. i would expect that the cooler could be flushed. Not sure with what in order to ensure all the shavings come out. Not sure on flow direction of oil, would the shavings have gone through the oil filter on their way to the cooler? if so, I'd expect little in the way of anything getting past the filter to the cooler. If not, then I would think there are likely shavings in there to some degree. If you could flush with the correct chemical, and enough of it, and monitor what is coming out, I bet you could get it reliably clean. Key question is, did the oil go through the filter an its way to the cooler?
Joel

No the cooler can't be flushed. Get a new one or disconnect the existing one

there you have it. still interested to know though if the oil wouldve gone through filter first?
joel

I think there has to be a method to flush out a cooler, but the consensus wisdom is that it is not practical to do and not worth the risk.

To answer your other question, I was studying my oil filter adapter housing the other day and I came to the conclusion that the oil does get filtered after the oil cooler (if I'm wrong someone will correct me). It is my understanding though, that having shavings in your oil cooler will still be problematic because unfiltered oil can and will sometimes bypass the filter. I believe there are instances on this site where people have wiped out bearings on a new motor, and it was at least attributed to reusing a radiator oil cooler with shavings in it.

Not arguing, but.
it is common practice when your a/c compressor dies, to flush the condenser
and reuse it, with great success, and seldom any issues.
why is an oil cooler any different?
an a/c compressor has many small moving parts (pistons, rods etc)
again, not to argue, but explain the difference,

Not arguing, but.
it is common practice when your a/c compressor dies, to flush the condenser
and reuse it, with great success, and seldom any issues.
why is an oil cooler any different?
an a/c compressor has many small moving parts (pistons, rods etc)
again, not to argue, but explain the difference,

If you flush the condenser and you don't get everything out you risk a $250 compressor. Are you willing to risk a $5K+ motor on the fact you think you got it all out?

Not fully. You either need a new radiator or if its a nice one you can take it to a radiator shop and have a new oil cooler put on

i agree the risk is significant and likely not worth it to most of us to risk the motor

i guess you would also replace all associated lines as well

Why not run it witout the oil cooler ? Do a search on this topic.
I have deleted the oil cooler after wiping the cam. I have had no
issues what so ever.

You can also run an external cooler, this would be a good compromise and you can reuse your expensive radiator. the stock oil cooler adapter has pipe thread fittings that can be swapped for AN fittings. Plumbing would be simple. I went with an external because my griffin radiator only has the trans cooler in it