Oil Cooler, Use It Or Lose It????

GANGSTER

HAPPY WHEN IM BOOSTING!
I was doing a search about oil pumps and I found a thread where someone said to unhook the oil cooler. Is this thing doing me more bad than good?
I have a 4 core alluminum radiator and the cooler is still hooked up but i was wondering if the hot oil is affecting the coolant temp or vice versa? I was also wondering if it is hurting the flow of oil in the engine.
Id really appreciate some input guys,especially after i went crazy trying to find that damm o ring between the oil pump and the cooler housing.

I don't run an oil cooler anymore on my car. I run a $120 Autozone aluminum radiator out of a 92' Camaro Iroc-Z. I run a stand a lone B+M super cooler for the trans fluid and a fan on top of that...

IMO the oil cooler from the factory is overkill and is the factory's way of making the car dummy proof...if your engine is always running at 160-170 then your oil should be very close to the same temp. Ran my car like this for a couple years now and haven't had problems...but that's just what "I" do, not necessarily saying it's the only way!

some guys might tell you they run a stand-a-alone oil cooler because of the turbo...I mean it wouldn't hurt but is it 100% needed? probably not

How much good might be debatable, but to say it's better to nix it sounds pretty stupid. Yes, the oil is cooled from normal block cooling, but it will probably be cooler still, and I'd rather have cooler oil cooling the turbo! Unless I'm totally insane, there's been a theory that the colder the air coming out of the turbo is beneficial for performance, hence the CAI.

Of course the only way to know is oil temp readinds with and without the cooler. I'd be shocked if there was a difference.

I'm curious to know the difference in temps using an independent cooler (like the transcooler).

I was also thinking about going that way. Im just wondering about the hot oil running through the radiator, if one affects the temp of the other one way or the other. Thanks for replying

I don't run my cooler anymore. I lost a bearing a while back and do not feel the cooler can be fully flushed of debris.

But I did not notice any significant oil temp rise. Usually around 180. I've only seen it over 210 once or twice. My temp sensor is in the pan.

Temps did recover better with the cooler. But they are never out of hand. I have a good cooling system and the car is never babied.

I will put a new cooler on before I run the Silver State Classic ;)

im gonna run an aluminum rad with no coolers in it- and use external trans and engine oil coolers. if you have engine problems its easier to pull the cooler off and put in a new one- than to have to go buy another radiator.

Mark, does your oil temp = water temp?

It seems to me that when I notice both a water and oil temp gauge, the oil is slower to warm but will pass water temp when it all comes to operating temp.

I am now off to order my oil cooler, AN fittings, and lines. Just wanna peek under the hood to make sure it'll all fit.

Ganster: As it seems that the oil gets hotter than the water, I would have to say the oil adds heat to the water. A good working radiator, even stock, should still have no trouble shedding the extra heat by the time the water goes back into the engine.

IMO: An oil cooler is considered an upgrade. My engine is happier when cool, oil pressure is better when it is cooler, I'm gonna do all I can to help keep it cool.

I've run without one for years, but just resently noticed that the oil pressure drops a fair amount if I make 2 back to back passes, or a real long *run*.

If you don't go more then a 1/4m at a time, and always have time for a good cooling off period, you might get by without it, but a cooler is cheap insurance compared to installing main/ rod bearings.

Blown&Injected said:
Mark, does your oil temp = water temp?

Yes, Usually they are very close.

It seems to me that when I notice both a water and oil temp gauge, the oil is slower to warm but will pass water temp when it all comes to operating temp.

Sounds very similar to mine.

IMO: An oil cooler is considered an upgrade. My engine is happier when cool, oil pressure is better when it is cooler, I'm gonna do all I can to help keep it cool.

I would use my cooler if it were not for bearing debris. I was going to get a separate air/oil cooler, but never saw high enough temps to need it.

This was my experience on my car. Your results may vary. :D :D

Mark

Blown&Injected said:
My engine is happier when cool, oil pressure is better when it is cooler, I'm gonna do all I can to help keep it cool.

If you're running a street car, then you want to maintain a min oil temp of over 220dF, so that you vaporize any moisture/ water, in the pan, so that it can go thur the PCV system. Otherwise you'll wind up with acid damage to the bearings, unless you change the oil VERY frequently.

bruce said:
If you're running a street car, then you want to maintain a min oil temp of over 220dF, so that you vaporize any moisture/ water, in the pan, so that it can go thur the PCV system. Otherwise you'll wind up with acid damage to the bearings, unless you change the oil VERY frequently.

If that were true, then we'd be hearing about "acid damage" in virtually every GN around. Afterall, installing a 160 deg. thermostat is extremely popular. I've never heard of one single person mention anything about having acid damage noted when rebuilding. Of course, maybe your "very" often = every 3-5K miles. That's also assuming that the oil temps. stay below 220 deg. with a 160 deg. thermo.

bruce said:

Are these temps measured in the pan? I know the temps are much higher at the bearings, but where else would you measure the temp? There have been threads about oil temp before, but I don't remember anyone else having an oil temp guage.

My daily driver for the past 18 years has the stock cooler and 180 degree oil is normal.

Rarely over 160 degrees driving around town in the winter.

Never seen much water in the oil ever, more gas than anything. :(

3000 mile avg. changes always with a filter.

It hits 200-210 in midsummer at 75mph on the highway with the A/C on.

Mech. temp. sender is in the oil cooler line near the adapter, forget which line is which it's the one nearest the water pump, prolly the cooler outlet I would assume. :confused:

My buddies Corvette oil ran 200-220 from wherever that gauge sender was located in those cars.

Hopefully evaporation occurs enough at lower temps. for water to go bye bye.

Mark E. said:
Are these temps measured in the pan? I know the temps are much higher at the bearings, but where else would you measure the temp? There have been threads about oil temp before, but I don't remember anyone else having an oil temp guage.

Yes, in the pan. Alot of lubrication is done by *splash* (so for lubrication purposes, looking at oil break down temps., some measure it in the pan). Some for various other reasons measure the oil temp going back into the engine.

N' it's during a pass, when temps get critical for break-down, since there is so much *windage*, and while you might normally have 3 qts of actual liquid oil in the pan, at high RPM, you might only have a qt, and the other 2 quarts just whipped into a molasses like rope, flying around the crankshaft. That's also why you want the temp sender in the very bottom of the pan so that it's measuring oil temp, and not just crankcase air temp at high RPM.

vortexbuicks-etc.com says to keep the oil cooler. I think they are useful, personally. Especially if you have cooling problems. Then again, I just got my first GN this April. I used to race a 600hp BBC camaro and that engine loved the oil cooler!!

rob86gn said:
vortexbuicks-etc.com says to keep the oil cooler. I think they are useful, personally. Especially if you have cooling problems. Then again, I just got my first GN this April. I used to race a 600hp BBC camaro and that engine loved the oil cooler!!

What were you oil temps with and without the cooler on the Camaro?

Listen to AJT86. I got a BeCool radiator and it is like 8 lbs. It also looks like it should be in an Indy car. I used a dualpass PermaCool cooler, so I could do what AJT86 says if I ever wipe a bearing. I used the 2 rows (tranny for the other 4) for the oil.