Oil/Choke light on

drdave69

I cleaned my engine last week and now the oil/choke light stays on. I checked the connection near the oil filter and it seems OK. The engine does NOT appear to be starved for oil since it isn't making any noise. What else could happen from a cleaning?

Have you tried unplugging the pigtail and jumping the 2 wires for the fuel pump relay to see if it still stays on?

While you're at it might not be a bad idea to hook up a mech fuel psi gauge that you trust....to verify there's good oil psi.

Not trying to be smartaZZ but what does the fuel pump have to do with the oil/choke light?

I have left the hood open for two weeks to let everything dry since I initially cleaned the engine but the light was on immediately and still is.

Have you tried unplugging the pigtail and jumping the 2 wires for the fuel pump relay to see if it still stays on?

While you're at it might not be a bad idea to hook up a mech fuel psi gauge that you trust....to verify there's good oil psi.

Do you have a "how-to" on jumping the fuel pump relay?

How would a fuel psi gauge work for an oil pressure gauge? I already have a fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay.

Do you have a "how-to" on jumping the fuel pump relay?

I don't have a schematic in front of me, but 2 of the wires are for completing a circuit to the fuel pump relay for the fuel pump while the third acts as a ground for the oil lamp. That's why I said what I said in my last post.

How would a fuel psi gauge work for an oil pressure gauge? I already have a fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay.

Per John Spina at caspers, PSI is PSI. I was thinking if you had one of those fuel PSI gauges that he sells in your tool box you could hook it up just to see if you have good oil PSI. Or if you had an oil PSI gauge that would be fine too.

Basically we're trying to determine that for sure your engine has good oil pressure and that your dummy light sensor is acting up.

Gotcha.
I believe I have an Autometer oil pressure gauge. I'll just have to figure out where to install it. I've been putting off installing this for a while now.

I haven't gotten around to installing the oil guage yet but I would like to "jump" the fuel pump relay if anyone can tell me where these wires are located.

No. I just got around to installing the guages. The coolant temp sender in the side of the block was fairly easy (except for the loos of a lot of fluid) but the oil pressure sender is a different story. There were two senders attached in the spot where the oil line goes to the turbo (via a brass distribution block). It appears that the factory oil pressure switch is attached there since it is a three wire plug/switch. When removing all of that, I broke the brass distribution block so I had to find another. While I was at it, I bought a new oil pressure switch and installed it along with the new brass block and Autometer sending unit. Since I ended up draining the radiator, I noticed that it isn't in the best shape internally. I am waiting until I have time to remove it for some R&R before I continue with the install of the guages (oil pressure and water temp).

I haven't gotten around to installing the oil guage yet but I would like to "jump" the fuel pump relay if anyone can tell me where these wires are located.

No need to "jump" the fuel pump wires, unless your fuel pump relay is bad. The circuit that the oil pressure switch completes(at 4PSI) is a bypass for the FP.