oil cans

tom h

Who among us still remembers the paper & tin oil cans?

Remember when you needed a sharp-tip can opener to punch triangle-shaped holes in a soft-drink or beer can? The opener also worked pretty well on the oil can.

Ahhh ....

Attachments

• sinclair oil can.jpg
    sinclair oil can.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 127
I remember them... I was young (10 I think) but I remember..lol.

When my Dad and Mom moved to FL back in '98, we found some stashed in the garage as we were packing. Was funny to come across it.

We used to live right next door to a Sinclair service station. I still remember the big green dinosaur. We'd walk over and buy cream soda out of the pop machine for 10 cents (mid 1960's) Then on the walk back home we'd stop in Sally Ann's bakery.......

Don't remember them being for sale, but have seen plenty of them. Even have a few of the opener/funnels lying around somewhere.

Usually when I seem them they remind me of the exploding oil cans in "The Jerk";)

We used to live right next door to a Sinclair service station. I still remember the big green dinosaur.

I had a bank from them that was a green plasitc dinosaur in the mid 60's:eek:
Now I feel old:frown:

HA I was at a garage sale & a guy had a FREE PILE. In it was a bunch of really OLD GULF OIL cans still full... Used them up in my SHIZBOX s-10....

My son asked how do you get the oil out. I said SPOUT. he had that typical blank look of a 16 year old :eek:

I remember those too. I even have a spout in the plastic tub that I store tools that are no good in. I also remember my Grandfather the farmer buying motor oil in 5,20 and 50 gallon drums. You would pump the oil into a glass Mason jar and it had a metal spout that twist on to it. Its been awhile since I've seen any of those in a swap meet. Whats really weird is that even on the new plastic oil cans those older small neck jobs are being phased out and replaced by the large mouth ones. The last time I bought oil only the cheap stuff was in the small necks.

Remember the quick and dirty way to open those old cans? You took a screwdriver and hit the handle with your palm. You also got a little burp and some would squirt out when you went to pop the vent hole 180 degrees around. If you hit hard enough and at the wrong angle the paper cans would collapse making a bigger mess.

Some of you may also remember that anti-freeze also came in 1 gallon square cans. Some of the cheap stuff didn't have a reusable cap to twist back on. Man the Greenies would have had a heyday back than.

yes, those are cute. There's even at least 1 webpage devoted to Roadside Dinosaurs .

I used to live in Nebraska and can attest to this qoute from that site.
Nebraska must have more Sinclair dinosaurs than any other state. North Platte seems to have Sinclair stations every few blocks and nearly all of them have the dinosaurs on top of their canopies or signs.

If you want to pass the word they missed a Dino . Its at the Sinclair at the intersection of 84th street and Park Drive Blvd in LaVista NE.

Yup, and those of us that worked in the gas stations of the time also remember putting the empty cans upsidedown in the draining rack so we could collect the clean new drippings for our own cars :).

When I bought the GS it had an oil appetite that was onpar with its gas habit. About a Quart for every five gallons of gas. I used to keep that press in spout in an old sock it the trunk so I could ad oil when I'd put $5 in gas in.