Offset silicone reducers?????

HYBRIDT

Recently in browsing the net I saw some silicone reducers (namely 2.5" to 3") that had the reduction offset to one side. So that one edge of the coupler was parallel and the other side stepped up fairly sharply. Anyone have an idea where I saw those??? I can not seem to find them!! :confused:

Adam

No idea where you saw them, but if they are available in 4-3" that would be a nice way to go from a 3" turbo inlet to a 4" maf pipe, giving extra clearance around the iac and uppipe. I almost rolled up an aluminum offset cone to try but never got around to it.

We can offer you 3" x 4" Silicone adapter hoses, but not offset. We carry, 2 x 2-1/2", 3" x 4", and 3" 90s.

Hope this helps.

jsta6 said:
You mean like these? But 3" to 4"? I am looking for one also.
No, not angled, we were talking about an offset cone. An oncenter cone (the way normal reducers look) has the circle for one end centered on the circle for the other end. An offcenter cone has the two circles touching at one point on the circles themselves, so the two centers do not line up. You can lay the cone down on one side and both circles will touch the surface and the circles will be sticking straight up. Another way to say it is to take a regular oncenter reducer, hold the bottom, and slide the top circle to the side until the edge lines up with the bottom circle.

ijames said:
No, not angled, we were talking about an offset cone. An oncenter cone (the way normal reducers look) has the circle for one end centered on the circle for the other end. An offcenter cone has the two circles touching at one point on the circles themselves, so the two centers do not line up. You can lay the cone down on one side and both circles will touch the surface and the circles will be sticking straight up. Another way to say it is to take a regular oncenter reducer, hold the bottom, and slide the top circle to the side until the edge lines up with the bottom circle.

Holy Krykies! :confused:

That is confusing.

Do you mean something like this?:

Attachments

• offset reducer.JPG
    offset reducer.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 180
Pretty much, except you offset it too much. Make your bottom line straight, and the top line 3" above the bottom at the left end and 4" above the bottom at the right end. If you could put your eye on the top of the screen and sight down the screen the top view would look just like a regular oncenter cone. I didn't have time to do a pic earlier (darn work interfering :)) but I think you have the idea now.

How is this?

(best I could do. Kids got cookie crumbs in the mouse)

Attachments

• offset hose.JPG
    offset hose.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 171
HYBRIDT said:
Recently in browsing the net I saw some silicone reducers (namely 2.5" to 3") that had the reduction offset to one side. So that one edge of the coupler was parallel and the other side stepped up fairly sharply. Anyone have an idea where I saw those??? I can not seem to find them!! :confused:

Adam
Mease used to include those with his intercoolers. If you can contact him: perhaps he could provide that info.

If you find out a supplier, please post it. That would an interesting alternative for certain situations.

Those could be for drain pipes, or for pump suction. When they are hard pipe, they are called "eccentric reducers". In drain pipes, the flat side goes down, so that crud doesn't pile up at the joint. In pump suction, the flat side is up, to keep air bubbles from collecting in the pipe, which might cause the pump to lose suction. The letters on a pipe drawing are FSU, or FSD, for "flat side up, or flat side down". Very confusing if you are a rookie! (I remember) Maybe McMaster-Carr, or Grainger would have some?

That's it, Shawn. I haven't seen these in any catalogs, and I spend a lot of time at work ordering from the likes of McMaster Carr and Grainger. My plan was to put the flat side somewhere between the motor side and the top, to push a 4" maf pipe down and forward to get more clearance below the intercooler up pipe and the iac, with a 3" turbo inlet. Instead I just got the 4" inlet on my GT67 and used flexible ducting to make the bend :).