Off boost power?

ebrunsturbo6

I'm just curious to know what kind of power a built 3.8 is capable of naturally aspirated. With fully ported stock or aftermarket heads, a larger roller cam , roller rockers, forged rotating assembly, 9-9.5:1 compression and so on, these engines should still be real quick off boost compared to the stock engine. Has anyone ever tried any NA runs with their setups?

The CR is whats gonna kill it my last h22 build was set up for turbo and before the turbo kit was on it only made 150 hp the h22a4 I have now is N/A and puts down 250+ so imagine how much power you would lose with one of these with out boost

I agree that a fully built NA 3.8 will never match the output of a turbo 3.8, but it should still be able to surprise stock GNs or even some GNXs. It's always best to build the motor up first and then boost it . A stock motored TR unfortunately 'needs' boost to make power.

I'd say around 270 crank, or 225 WHP. :wink:
More HP, but less torque than a stock HA. :eek:

on the street?

you will be lucky to build 255 HP.

compression is needed to make any kind of NA power.

its a dead end. come to the B4B section and read about all of the people who have built a "Hot" NA motor only to wish they had gone with boost.

pick your poison wisely.

A.j.

There is a FWD 3800 grand prix that went 12.73@106.37

jim dotson runs a NA car too...i don't know all the details but i've seen it go 9's

....... you will be lucky to build 255 HP.

compression and RPM is needed to make any kind of NA power. . . . .

A.j.,
I agree 100%, with a minor addition to your statement. ;)

The 3800 Series II is rated at 205 hp and 230 lb·ft, and passes emisions! . . . Sure, it is a better flowing set-up, but balls to the walls unsprayed, I think 275 crank HP is possible but that's just me. ;)

Look what motorcycle engines are rated at.
Yes, they are high tech, but the old "1HP/CI" rule no longer holds true.

Wastegate rod clip came off in the burnout on my car a few years ago. It went 15.14 but I don't remember the mile per hour or the 60 ft. I don't think I want to either LOL.

A.j.,
I agree 100%, with a minor addition to your statement. ;)

The 3800 Series II is rated at 205 hp and 230 lb·ft, and passes emisions! . . . Sure, it is a better flowing set-up, but balls to the walls unsprayed, I think 275 crank HP is possible but that's just me. ;)

Look what motorcycle engines are rated at.
Yes, they are high tech, but the old "1HP/CI" rule no longer holds true.

I agree with both Aj and Jerryl here. A stock design RWD engine won't do that much. Now using the heads off a 3800 series II engine on a RWD block you'd basically have a Stage II engine but you'll have to make your own intake for it since no one has done this yet. Then you could make some serious power because the heads flow so much better.:biggrin:

how much power were the NASCAR Busch Grand National engines of the 80's making?
probably 450 or so..
those cars are the reason the Buick V6 has as many high end speed parts available as it does..