OEM Radio Questions

bigballsbilly

My car was originally a CS2 car. But when I got it it had an aftermarket radio in it going through the front speakers. I acquired a radio without the equilizers and insyalled it today. So after fixing the boogered up wiring I turned it on. I now have sound from all 6 (I think) speakers but they sound like crap. Not unexpectedly they are all blown. I want to keep the head unit the stock one. I know the original speakers are a different ohmage than commonly used now... so what are my options? I'm not looking for a great system, just something I can listen to.

Also, is there supposed to be a bracket on the radio so it will bolt in?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1402767078840.jpg
    1402767078840.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 230
Great Thanks, I found some on eBay. Hopefully I can find some less expensive here.

Can anyone answer the question as to the speakers I should use as replacements?

It was $34.99 for the pair. But now I can't find them. Strange.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I put a minimal amount in my stereo and it sounds pretty good. Two door speakers, two dash speakers, 8" sub, 4 channel amp and an interface box with a stock headunit. It can be done. You are welcome to copy it if interested. I used Polk Audio db series speakers in the GN on a recommendation but I have used JBL GTO speakers before and I think they sounded better.

Audiocontrol LC2 - $76 on Amazon. Other pieces: I bought a Cadence 4 channel amp off craigslist. Knuconceptz is the best place for bargains on RCA cable and wire; their cheap stuff is good quality. And I bought a highly recommended inexpensive paper cone subwoofer from MCM Electronics and made a box. It fills the car with sound but can hardly hear it at all outside the car.

I just had an audio shop replace all 6 speakers on my wife's GN with Kenwood units. It took them over 2 hours to do the whole job, having to disassemble the door panels and remove the dash. Total cost = $300.00. Sounds MUCH better now....

bigballsbilly, did you ever come up with a system to meet your needs ? I'm in the same boat as you and looking at options.

I've been busy spending all my money undoing everything the PO screwed up with the drivetrain. So far I've had to live with the shitty speakers.