Odometer - 145 mph Speedometer Dilemma

SpeedRacerX

Ok, so I bought a very nice 145 mph speedo already calibrated by Kirban. The odometer that comes with it says 65,000 miles. My 85 mph speedo says 95,000 miles.

I jumped at the chance to buy the speedo being already done and calibrated and at a decent price but didn't stop to think about the odometer implications. I guess I should have sent MINE with the correct odometer to Kirban. Now, I may have put myself in checkmate if I use this.

In light of me ever wanting to sell the car in the future, what do I do now? Take a picture of both speedos side by side with today's newspaper to prove the mileage on both so that a future buyer can understand what I did? Is there anyway for me to put my odometer in the calibrated speedo cluster? Can I pop out the calibrated guts of the new speedo, swap it onto mine and then order a new 145-mph overlay for mine?

I'm trying to do the right thing here guys so bear with me. Am I overthinking this?

Any ideas or guidance?

Can you use a drill on speedo cable to get the mileage on the old one *up* to your existing mileage? Adding miles is easy... if the new one was lower then that'd be a real problem. I was thinking about the same issues when I contemplated buying that unit.

Can you use a drill on speedo cable to get the mileage on the old one *up* to your existing mileage? Adding miles is easy... if the new one was lower then that'd be a real problem. I was thinking about the same issues when I contemplated buying that unit.
My nephew and I tested this idea today. Yes, it works. My drill turns the speedo at about 62 mph so for 20-23K miles, it will take 322-371 hours or 13-15 days to get there!!! I'm determined and persistent but not that way....

Figure most household drills do 1500-2000 rpm... Maybe pick up an r/c car motor for 8 bucks on Amazon? They are small, easy to connect power and can turn 10000-12000 rpm.

You guys have me thinking about buying a dremel..... 35,000 rpms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've searched on here but still not feeling 100% sure. I'm stuck wondering how to reach and get the speedo cable off. From the top, bottom, reach around, push more through from the engine, take the dash surround off........?????? Any suggestions on easiest way to get the speedo cable unclipped from the speedo cluster? Thanks!

A dremel tool will destroy your speedometer at that speed. And, 300+ hours of 80MPH on your speedometer movement will put significant wear on both the mileage odometer and the trip odometer, along with the calibration of the magnets.

Much easier to remove the speedometer head, then remove the odometer and set it to whatever mileage you want. It takes less than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing. You just need to be careful you don't break the seal behind the movement; that's a critical part to maintaining the proper odometer reading.