Odd flooding situation

79TurboTA

I was driving to a car show this past weekend and some very strange things happen along the way and I'm hoping for a little help. I got about 150 miles from home and in the middle of nowhere, my wideband gauge began to plummet to 10.0 from the usual 14.7 and smoke began blowing out the back. I managed to keep it running long enough to pull off the highway on to a very narrow rocky sloped shoulder. It died but fired right back up. The AFR read 14.7-9 and would then gradually return to 10.0 and then eventually die. Well, I fired it back up and before it could die again, I merged quickly onto the highway and gave it hell. It ran perfectly after that for about 5-10 minutes and then began the same thing all over. I finally figured out that when the AFR gauge dropped and began missing, I brought the boost up to about 5psi and held it there and it would run fine without sputtering. After about 30 minutes of doing that off and on, I made it to the show. Now I'm about 200 miles away from home. I called my wife and she drove to the show and agreed to follow me home. Here's the messed up part, it ran perfectly on the way home. Not sure what it could be honestly. The only thing I can think of is the MAF sensor. I had my intercooler hose right below the MAF blow off twice in one week due to not having it tight enough. It destroyed the pipe coming off the intercooler. I'm wondering if that possibly damaged the MAF. Any ideas?

MAF is certainly my first guess.
Thy say if you have a stock MAF, tap it with a screwdriver handle with the car idling. If it stumbles, it's a good sign that it's going bad.

In the event that happens again, unplug the MAF. The car will run poorly, and you shouldn't try any boost, but once you get it to cruising speed, it should get by.

Thanks for the advice. I will try tapping on it and see what happens. I didn't know I could unhook the MAF and the car would still run. LOL That would have been good to know. LOL