NYS High enhanced, I FAILED!!

wlaukaitis

3rd Member
Hi folks,

here is the deal, as you know my car had been sitting for quite a few years, I went to get it inspected yesterday and failed miserably, the car is stock except for the Hypertech.

inspection numbers:

HC
Vehicle:
1.47 pgm

Limit
.80 gpm

CO
Vehicle
16.68 gpm

Limit
15.00 gpm

NOx
Vehicle
Limit

Things that I have done thus far:

Header fixed
plug wires
plugs CR43TS (i think)
new fuel filter
cleaned K&N

FP is at 42 line off

I changed the O2 with one that was in the trunk when I bought the car (it looked new) I also have the heated O2 kit that I could put in.

I have a new Cat on order

I guess the EGR is OK because of the NOx

I do have an OTC2000 but I am not too familiar with it, Most of the numbers were OK at idle but I was not sure if things can be checked while driving.

What else could I look for?

TIA!!

Does it have a cat on it now?, If not, put one on and restest. If it does, take some fuel out of it (lower fuel pressure some). Maybe 2-3 psi of fuel pressure and try again.

Yes it has a cat now, the original turbo was toasted and I am sure a lot of the oil that was getting past the bearing/seal is now in the cat.

I was toying with it tonight and I had the fuel pressure too high, 46 line off, I set it to about 41.

I will be a bit of time until I can retest.

Hello, I'm in Oakdale and just bought an 87 GN a week ago where the previous owner removed the cat. It was in Michigan so it makes sense. I will be getting a 3" Magnaflow Cat installed Saturday and then I will do the inspection at a friends shop. I will change the plugs, wires, coilpack & add a new cat, so I hope it passes.

Old, dirty oil that smells of gasoline (doesn't it always? :)) will hurt your HC numbers and oil inside the intake just hurts, period, so pull off the intercooler up pipe and IAC and hose out the insides of the doghouse/intake manifold with carb cleaner. Don't forget to thoroughly rinse the IAC passage and IAC tip, put it all back together, start it up and warm it up until the fans run a couple of times, then change the oil and filter and then put your new plugs in. Wlaukitis, as close as your numbers were just putting on a working cat is probably all you need.

Yee-Haw!!!

It passed

.72 on HC
12.10 on CO
.56 on NOx (I cleaned the passages out when I did the plenum gasket)

not great but better....thanks for the info.

Now I just have to fix those darn oil leaks....:rolleyes: